Which 2017 show have you listened to/watched over and over

Crown, Cavies, and Academy 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 8:25 AM, gak27 said:

Re: Bluecoats - at least from the video I've seen (and no, I don't have either the CD or BluRay), at the end of the closer when they come down past the front sideline, the positioning of the mics isn't far enough back from the field so it sounds like a lot of their power is not being picked up by the mics...

Sad sign of the times

A lot of their power isn’t being picked up by that amps? Wouldn't that mean they don’t have much power other than their amps?

But I don’t believe that’s what happen

I tend to think when they came under the mic, their amps red zoned the recording mic because they didn’t pull down the gain to account for their closer proximity to the field mics and because, it’s the closer, push it to 11 dude !!! It was a bad job of ‘professional sound design’ and since they are leading the activity forward, cry for us. Live, their sound was a bit nasty during finals week and on the broadcast I saw after the fact, it was clipping on hits and at the end which is way I think they had to drop the levels...and they do match up (the big clips  on the broadcast are where the levels drop on the CD)

Regiment’s mic placement compared to horn location creates some of worse stick outs on the CD, instead of playing to the box they'll have to play away from the mics when they are up front 

Cadets- I love Bernstein

BD- Me! Can you believe it!

Bluecoats- Been waiting for a corps to play Zappa!

Crown- Not very fond of the singing in their program but the rest of it is amazing!

Edited by boxingfred
  • Like 1

Which 2017 show have you listened to/watched over and over

Honestly? None of them. 2017 was one of the most "meh" years in recent memory for me. I've cooled on SCV, Crown (1st half), and Coats upon further reviews. I was never warm on Devils, Cavies, Phantom, Cadets, or Crown (2nd half). Really, the only show that grabs me in March 2018 as well as it did in August 2017 is Boston's "Wicked Games", but I haven't been replaying it non-stop. I can't remember the last year when only one of the Top 6 stuck with me.

All of the Blues! Devils, Coats, Knights, Stars

Blue Devils - Outside of Flight of the Bumblebee (which I still really liked), this show was GOLD!
Bluecoats - What an entertaining show! While they aren't my absolute favorite corps, I've started noticing that I bubble in anticipation of each year's new show. They are refreshing!
Blue Knights - These past two years, I've loved this group. I can't quite put my finger on what I like so much, but the shows are so artistic and draw me in so much more than the groups that they compete against.
Blue Stars - Their shows won't score well with the direction that they're going, but I couldn't care less. Last year, they created so many cool textures with their arrangements. The visuals package was so enjoyable. I hope they keep going down this same path.

I'm with Hostrauser on this one.  I was very disappointed in the 2017 shows after such incredible years 2014-2016.  The performance levels were great (for the most part) but the show designs just left me extremely "blah".  The ONLY shows I have watched over and over again are SCV and Boston (and occasionally Bluecoats).  Outside of those three, the only World Class shows I really liked were Mandarins, The Academy, & Colts.  If those three had been in Finals instead of Blue Stars, Crossmen, & Madison, I might even have considered buying the Blu-ray.