What you want for 2018

The predictions thread kinda died in December, but now that the rumor mill is alive and well with some corps already announcing their shows, I thought it'd be fun to say what we want to see happen in DCI this year. It could be a full on finals predictions or just some more subjective matter (ex G bugles make a comeback, or that all horns are replaced with synths :laughing:

For me, I want to see competitive drum corps again, Blue Devils were awesome this year, and things got close, but an undefeated season isn't exactly exciting.

• Like 1

10-Cent Beer Month.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Alright, strap in. We've got 24 corps in World Class and I have a slow day at work so I have 24 opinions to share. Let's go!

Blue Devils, you have an odd history with me as of late. I tend to really like your shows after the season. This past season might have been because I was all aboard the Vanguard hype snake train, but this has happened a bit lately. I would love to love your shows from day one. 

Blue Knights, just keep being weird and keep being you. I've loved everything since NoBeginningNoEnd, so keep doing you!

Blue Stars, just keep your sound how it is and I will be super happy. I've also loved your past few "story shows" like Le Reve and Star Crossed, so maybe this is your true niche. 

Bluecoats, as much as I enjoy this hip new rock vibe you have going, I tend to think of shows like Metropolis and Brave New World when I think of you. I would personally love a return to the dark tech sound you had going, but if not just keep rocking out like you did with these past two shows. 

Boston Crusaders, I'm so glad you went dark again with Wicked Games, and Animal Farm is one of my all time favorite shows, so I would love to see them come back this year with a dark and gritty show like those. Who knows, maybe they can medal this year (please medal this year!).

Carolina Crown, I really dig the bold choice you took last year with the singing and the Akiho. I never thought I would say that No One To kNOW one would work with Crown. I want to see them take this same newness and freshness and maybe combine their darker side of Inferno and Relentless back into it. Unleash the beast!

Colts, last year was kinda cool, but I really feel like Dark Side of the Rainbow and ...And A Shot Rings Out were better, so it would be cool to see them return to this genre. 

Crossmen, I really want to hear them groove harder. Like Unity or Fragile levels of groove. I also like the contemporary vibe they took last season, so maybe mixing the two would make it awesome!

Genesis, The Other Side of Now was a cool show, but it just seemed like a generic "First Year in World Class" chow. I'd really like to see them get a stronger sense of identity that I can recognize.

Jersey Surf, why did you leave the Bridgemania and Soul Surfin' identity? It worked so well for you! Please go back to that, we need another corps like Bridgemen or Velvet Knights.

Madison Scouts, last year was a really bold choice, and I feel like you pulled it off very well, but my Madison thoughts tend to go with A Drum Corps Fan's Dream I and II, so perhaps they could find a way to be new and fresh while also mixing in those Latin tunes. Kinda like Reframed, but grittier if they want. 

Mandarins, I just want to see them in Finals. Last year was fantastic, and I love the idea for Life Rite After, so seeing them move forward with that would be awesome and could lead to something special.

Music City, welcome to World Class. My comment for Genesis kinda serves as a warning to them. Stand out and don't disappear in the crowd. I loved Tribe and this group has me excited.

Oregon Crusaders, I like the blend of classical and pop that they had going with Hunted and ENcompass, so continuing that would be cool. I hope to see them rise a bit. 

Pacific Crest, just keep doing what you're doing. Golden State of Mind was fantastic, and I have a feeling this year will be awesome too. Keep climbing!

Phantom Regiment, I like the darker show from last year, but if there is one corps that I think should lose the electronics, it's you. Just let the classical music be your identity and stick with it, I don't think you have to modernize it. Be more Into the Light and Juliet, less Voice of Promise and Phantasm.

Pioneer, just keep showing up and doing what you do. I love seeing them still around, and I feel like they improve year after year.

Santa Clara Vanguard, I would love to see them keep with the edgy and kinda minimalist music of Ouroboros, but go even further like they did for Inventions for the New Millennium, Pathways, etc. When I think Vanguard, I think of those shows. 

Seattle Cascades, I also just hope they keep in the same genre. O worked really well and I loved Set Free. Keep it up!

Spirit of Atlanta, I fell in love with Crossroads last season. The show overall was great, I loved the music, and it just works. I see great things in their future, just keep at it. Welcome back, Baby Blue! 

The Academy, I feel like you lost me a bit last year. I loved A Step in Time and Drum Corpse Bride, and I feel like this is your niche, so I would love to fall in love with your show again this year.

The Cadets, I really like last year, but it didn't feel like The Cadets. I know the rep for this year, but just please make it feel like I'm watching The Cadets,

The Cavaliers, welcome back to greatness. I love this attitude of great shows that don't take themselves too seriously. Please medal this year, I would love to see the return of the Green Machine to greatness.

Troopers, I have a challenge for you: Please make me look forward to a Troopers show. I'm not saying they're bad, but I've never really been a Troopers fan except The Road Home and Magnificent 11, and I would really look forward to looking forward to you. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Overall? Better use of electronics. Also better ballads from most corps. BD smoked everyone last year.

ABSOLUTELY!!!