What you want for 2018

54 minutes ago, Ghost said:

if anything, corps are going for bigger guards to help get those important visual points.  One way to do that might be using all the "synths and amplification of brass" so some corps have cut back on their brass numbers in order to add to the guard.  Look how contra sections for many corps have dropped from 16 to 12.

Yeah, I know. Too many colorguard leads to visual cutter in my opinion. I haven’t really watched a show since about 2007. The clamoring for visual and GE points has generated a race to the bottom. 

• Confused 2

-Tight Competition (At least 3 corps that could win it coming into finals week, and like 6 corps that could medal)

-Loud Brass (not synth)

-Fast Drill

-Bluecoats give that 2010/2011 vibe with the 2016 power.

-Blue Devils not changing a thing

SCV for the gold. That's my prediction using the BD algorithm from 2007-present where they went 12112121121. The next in sequence is 2 and every time the number 2 comes up a different corps wins. Although it could be Cavaliers or Boston for gold but I think that's a bit further of a stretch right now.

Just a few things from individual corps:

BD- I liked the fresh direction of 2017 and would like to see more shows like this from them

SCV- the power, precision, and intensity of 2017 with a more entertaining show design

Crown- Lots and lots of brass. A lot of notes from brass that make my head spin. Good percussion. A great program design.

Cavaliers- better brass, great execution otherwise like 2017 or better yet the 00s Cavaliers. A fun, but not dumb show design.

Bluecoats- keep raising the bar being innovative. The past 5 years have been amazing and I want another year where I can say their show is my favorite

Boston- Top their 2017 performance. Overhaul in talent with a show design that's just as easy to attach to.

• Like 2

A return to big drill moves.

It's taken me several years to realize that Visual is now more about rifles than cross throughs.  Totally missing Phantom's block merges, Cadets' intricate reshapes, Cavies' geometric wizardry, and SCV's war-like maneuvers accompanying their thunderous brass.  

• Like 7

I know I posted my massive list, but I have one more thing that I want to see, especially after the lack of them in the last few seasons:

I want to see the return of the "True Ending," where corps have a "False Ending" they use until Atlanta-ish and then unveil the actual ending with new drill and music before Finals. I especially missed that from Bluecoats and The Cavaliers this season, but those were always one of my favorite things to look forward to. 

• Like 1

mortgage rates where they were pre November 2016

world peace

for a law to be written to allow stupid people to be smacked

and shows to entertain me, judges to hold bad electronics balance accountable and for judges to judge their sheet and the show of the day

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FaustianMachine said:

rI want to see the return of the "True Ending," where corps have a "False Ending" they use until Atlanta-ish and then unveil the actual ending with new drill and music before Finals. I especially missed that from Bluecoats and The Cavaliers this season, but those were always one of my favorite things to look forward to. 

Some corps do this already.  Crown has changed endings.  Didn't the Cadets almost set a corps record for ending changes last year.  Word out of A-Town is they have come up with another one for last year!

Edited by Ghost

A floMarching season where their live broadcasts don't have tech issues that force me to curse with some very naughty words and have my family march me strait upstairs for some needed soap time as my punishment. So if you're reading this Flo, don't make me wind up like his Nibs :

Image result for picture of boy with soap for saying a naughty word

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2018 at 5:23 PM, jjeffeory said:

Less usage of synths and amplification of brass. ...and if you're going to do it, do it well.

Smaller colorguards, more unison work ( but not all unison work).

Fewer pre-recorded sound patches (how about you play there instead, brass, percussion, or both). 

More experimentation with different brass instruments. Break out those marching frenchies and flugels lines (more) too...

I want some old tunes AND new tunes.

...more large ensemble work visual-wise and more brassline playing. Stop offloading as much onto the pit and have the hornlines play more.

I'd like to see more placement movement through out the season.

On 2/14/2018 at 8:41 PM, jwillis35 said:

What I want: 

1. back off on the amplified solos
  2. less pit sound. the pit is way too loud with most corps. bring out the brass and percussion.
  3. No synth bass or electric bass when the brass is playing. Each instance of this results in a .5 point penalty
  4. No more hitting a form and then going into the cliche body pose. show some guts and hold a form and clean your drill.
  5. A small 5 point penalty for poorly used narration :) 
  6. A mandatory 1 point penalty for every mic/electronic malfunction 
  7. Great brass, percussion, guard, drill, and some fun and entertaining shows

A lot of good points made by a lot of people so far, so I thought I'd quote the two that were closest to what I'm looking for in 2018.  Some specific examples to go along with their excellent points:

- the whole amplification thing: we shouldn't have to strain to hear the brass over the pit hardware amping...or vocals...or solos...

- synth/electronic bass need to be MUCH lower; pain shouldn't be part of the listening experience if you're sitting low

- less "amorphous pods" of the hornlines: i get the whole "staging" idea but pods (and for that matter, large amounts of nonunison work/movement by the MMs) make shows "look" sloppy/mushy and not precise

- toning down SOME of the uniform/costume/outfit color explosions we've seen lately:  overly busy/flashy/textural/etc designs exacerbate the non-precise feel of the visual program

• Like 2