Would this site work better without the year-long topics?

glory

I've been wondering this for a while: Would this forum work better for all concerned if we didn't have these year-long topics?

I think so. If you're new to the site, you might not know that only three or so years ago, we had dozens of new discussions every week and none titled Madison 201X or Cadets 201X. Things came to our mind. We posted until we exhausted our opinions (or patience). Then we moved on to more catastrophe (and tedium). No August to August discussions ostensibly about anything but often about nothing at all.

It's not clear to me what we gain by having single threads to encompass presumably everything about any given corps. If you're a regular to these threads, then you know they tend to be either: 1) a place to collect complaints (i.e., Cadets and maybe BD; or 2) a place for sharing the rosey glasses (including BD).

Wouldn't we be better off with threads that are specific (and finite)? First and most important, it would be apparent when we are discussing something new. Imagine having a clue what's inside the thread now. Rather than everything or anything all the time theoretically about one corps only.

Or tell me why I'm wrong ...

... again.

HH  

Edited by glory
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Cadets thread is the worst. It’s the only thread that’s ever regularly updated in the off-season, but it’s nothing more than a constant parade of whinging alumni. Any details about the show/music/staffing are lost 20 pages back. 

And so many bludging galahs saying they know something but won’t post any info “because everyone knows.” 

If you actually have info you should fair dinkum start your own thread for visibility. 

Edited by shofmon88
  • Like 2

This year this seems to be primarily a Cadets thread issue, at least right now. Last year we saw it in Madison, Crown, and BAC’s thread too, but not so much this year, but one staff change or questionable decision by any corps could change everything. The personal swipes  in the Cadets thread are getting way out of line and to me at least, a good number of comments are not supporting an activity we love. The solution is staying objective, not reacting to outrageous comments better left ignored, and steering clear of personal feuds that have nothing to do with the topic. As the season approaches, more people will be posting, and that could defuse the situation.

4 hours ago, skevinp said:

Or, you could just not visit them.

If you're referring to the post above (Cadets thread most likely to devolve), then not visiting it is relegating it to one-sided slander. 

If you're referring in general, then one reason is none of us can know where any single corp's thread is trending. Another would be discussions about Corps X might be better as discussions about any corps.

HH 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

This year this seems to be primarily a Cadets thread issue, at least right now.....The personal swipes  in the Cadets thread are getting way out of line and to me at least, a good number of comments are not supporting an activity we love. The solution is staying objective, not reacting to outrageous comments better left ignored, and steering clear of personal feuds that have nothing to do with the topic. As the season approaches, more people will be posting, and that could defuse the situation.

IMO The bullies seem to be pretty consistent all 12 months.  ALWAYS have to have the last word, or point out time, after time how they NEVER said this or that.......THEN, try to add appeasement by way of humorous interjections. 

The bullies seemingly cannot take your sage advice to not react or steer clear of personal feuds.

My vote/suggestion/response would be to lock the thread in question, start anew, and suspend 30 days a person/persons  who derail a thread in such a manner.

Edited by JAZZER
  • Like 1

I'm good with the corps-specific threads, annual or otherwise. Busting them open wouldn't change the fact that some subjects, like off-season Cadets, are a huge driver around here. I would rather it mostly be in one thread rather than 20 new Cadets threads a week. Often re-hashing old thread content.

10 hours ago, skevinp said:

Or, you could just not visit them.

Sir you must remove this post. Common sense is not allowed in online drum corps discussions 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JAZZER said:

IMO The bullies seem to be pretty consistent all 12 months.  ALWAYS have to have the last word, or point out time, after time how they NEVER said this or that.......THEN, try to add appeasement by way of humorous interjections. 

The bullies seemingly cannot take your sage advice to not react or steer clear of personal feuds.

My vote/suggestion/response would be to lock the thread in question, start anew, and suspend 30 days a person/persons  who derail a thread in such a manner.

I kind of agree and not just that thread. The problem is who defines who is a bully? I know one that has gotten away with murder on here since the site was created

• Like 4