Would this site work better without the year-long topics?

glory

I'd like to see more specific threads dedicated to a specific topic. The individual drum corps threads can be for show-specific content, scheduling, and other corps-related topics. But if the issue is judging, rules changes, corps vs corps arguments, best of... and other content like that I think specific posts work better. We are beginning to lump too many arguments into these "corps threads" and it's forcing people to parse through lots of pages and content in order to find what they are looking for. 

Initially I think the current model was designed to cut down on too many similar posts and/or a flood of posts about certain corps and not others.  Things usually get better as the season approaches because we get individual show posts where we can chat about most things related to scoring, judging, the shows, crowds, and you name it. 

But having said that I have not been a fan of these individual corps threads.  If you want to chat about Cadets 1992 or SCV 1994 or maybe Madison 1995 then I think a specific post for that topic should be started.  If the topic had been started somewhere before then perhaps someone might find that topic and merge it with the present. But to me this produces more topic-related discussion. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glory said:

I may have just made the mistake of asking the people who created the mess if they mind the mess they're in.

HH

If you have issues with certain people talk to them about it. Otherwise you’re doing what you’re complaining about 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

If you have issues with certain people talk to them about it. Otherwise you’re doing what you’re complaining about 

No issues with anyone but lots of issue with the year-long threads.

What I meant was the folks posting are probably the ones most comfortable with the format. I'd also go so far as to venture than some of those less approving of these year-long threads have stopped posting or reading. It's just too difficult to find topics of interest. I frankly have no interest in sifting the all the compliments in most of the corps' threads to find what I come here for, which is news about drum corps - along with what I'll call a "range" of opinion. In my opinion, this format where it all gets lumped together in threads dozens and hundreds of pages long is a mess.

HH

5 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

If you remove them then this place will be empty from August to June.

No it won't. All the same news and commentary in a single thread would form a series of discussions specific to each topic. It worked well for more than a decade here.

HH

35 minutes ago, glory said:

I'd also go so far as to venture than some of those less approving of these year-long threads have stopped posting or reading. It's just too difficult to find topics of interest. I frankly have no interest in sifting the all the compliments in most of the corps' threads to find what I come here for, which is news about drum corps - along with what I'll call a "range" of opinion. In my opinion, this format where it all gets lumped together in threads dozens and hundreds of pages long is a mess.

HH

This.

3 hours ago, glory said:

No issues with anyone but lots of issue with the year-long threads.

What I meant was the folks posting are probably the ones most comfortable with the format. I'd also go so far as to venture than some of those less approving of these year-long threads have stopped posting or reading. It's just too difficult to find topics of interest. I frankly have no interest in sifting the all the compliments in most of the corps' threads to find what I come here for, which is news about drum corps - along with what I'll call a "range" of opinion. In my opinion, this format where it all gets lumped together in threads dozens and hundreds of pages long is a mess.

HH

the problem in those threads is this:

corps literally tell us nothing any more until spring. Some corps fans/alums/critics/whatever else will keep chattering even if nothing is out. others wont see much until spring. and others are right, if you put a time frame on when those threads can be posted, then zillions of other threads about the same stuff thats in those year long threads will populate. 

I love DCP, but i know in the winter, if you want info, go to social media, and most fans know that now. DCI has the story about the rules proposals on their site and social media accounts for hours before i got a chance to pop in over here....and nothing was here til i posted about it.

it's the nature of DCP now. 

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the problem in those threads is this:

corps literally tell us nothing any more until spring. Some corps fans/alums/critics/whatever else will keep chattering even if nothing is out. others wont see much until spring. and others are right, if you put a time frame on when those threads can be posted, then zillions of other threads about the same stuff thats in those year long threads will populate. 

I love DCP, but i know in the winter, if you want info, go to social media, and most fans know that now. DCI has the story about the rules proposals on their site and social media accounts for hours before i got a chance to pop in over here....and nothing was here til i posted about it.

it's the nature of DCP now. 

I think DCI learned that it is important to get its message out first, and if DCI does not, it will get out by other means. This year’s proposals is an excellent example, as compared to past issues which did not seem to be released in a timely manner, and caused controversy. I also agree with you regarding social media. Many corps are using it effectively. I think Crown was the pioneer in this regard, or at least it seemed to me Crown used Facebook to interact with supporters more than other corps though it didn’t take long for others to follow their lead. 

Many threads in the off season are just to fill time while we wait, and there can be some interesting  discussions, though some are silly. However, from May until September, if I don’t check DCP, I feel i’m missing something. From November till April, I may check DCP, but it’s more a habit. 

Regarding the thread in question, it is not just an off season problem. I find in the summer it’s worse. There is infighting among supporters which can resemble a family feud, detractors who cannot wait to take pop shots, and if you try and be objective, which may be positive but can also be critical, you can never be certain of the reaction. Maybe it’s a Northeast problem. Many of the supporters of the corps in question are from Yankee country, the detractors from Red Sox Nation, and the discussions are like the sports radio talk shows. 

See, now there's something else helpful about the 990's.  They usually are filed by the end of October for the period two years prior.

October finances and balance sheets.  Some would say that's as bad - or worse - than the Cadets thread.

Ha!

• Like 1