Would this site work better without the year-long topics?

glory

27 minutes ago, glory said:

Well... I'm back to not agreeing with HockeyDad.

This is so wrong. My suggestion has nothing to do with any one thing in any one thread. 

I and others are saying we don't like hunting for discussions of interest within long, meandering threads. We're saying it's better for all if the discussions happen in finite threads with defined topics. 

Please don't ascribe any other motive to me in prompting this discussion. Believe it or not, you would be mistaken. 

Yeah I was gonna clarify. I'm all for staying on topic or creating new topics. Like Cowtown says, go for it. Nothing wrong with that. What I have a problem with, and it wasn't you HH, was people saying rude / bully / otherwise mean posters should be put in timeout. What I enjoy most here is reading healthy debate. Yeah there are times when things devolve into person yo momma attacks. But we generally get it back on track. Anyway HH you and I continue agreeing and we're gonna need to get a room or something. 

Edited by HockeyDad

13 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

...What I enjoy most here is reading healthy debate. Yeah there are times when things devolve into person yo momma attacks. But we generally get it back on track. Anyway HH you and I continue agreeing and we're gonna need to get a room or something. 

Geez. I'm so tired of saying this: I agree with HockeyDad.

Healthy debate should be a major part of the draw here. Drum corps' identity is as much about debate as it is brass or drums or drums or guard. What's the best way to spark that debate? I doubt it's within a series of single corps threads.

Maybe not in single SHOW threads either. That's another place where it sometimes feels as if interesting conversations go to die.

Edited by glory

1 hour ago, glory said:

Well... I'm back to not agreeing with HockeyDad.

This is so wrong. My suggestion has nothing to do with any one thing in any one thread. 

I and others are saying we don't like hunting for discussions of interest within long, meandering threads. We're saying it's better for all if the discussions happen in finite threads with defined topics. 

Please don't ascribe any other motive to me in prompting this discussion. Believe it or not, you would be mistaken. 

there's nothing to say you can't start a thread with breaking news. In fact it happens, and i dont recall seeing them merged into the year long threads.

26 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I disagree.

i disagree to agree to disagree

The year long Cadets thread is one of those threads (among a few others) where one could start an argument in an empty house...and then is sprinkled with some occasional information about the current corps and it's progress of that I enjoy reading about...it can also be a very hostile thread IMO as well and most of the time I begin to write a comment and then just say to myself 'never mind" and delete it...That said, I prefer consolidation rather than hundreds of threads...

6 minutes ago, glory said:

Noted. Thanks.

trust me during the season we'll get the same topic 4/5 times, including a predictions thread within seconds after scores are announced

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

trust me during the season we'll get the same topic 4/5 times, including a predictions thread within seconds after scores are announced

Any word yet what the estimate date is for this years slotting thread?

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Jeff, are you saying we've optimized the site? Can't get any better? Or maybe you're saying the people here made it this way because they want it this way? Forget that there could be redundancy at some point in the future. Does what we have now feel right to you?