Would this site work better without the year-long topics?

glory

So the news breaks someplace else. Doesn't mean it can't be discussed here.

DCP never was the only source for drum corps news. It was, I'd say, a better aggregator of drum corps news and opinion in the past than it is today in part because the new discussions were easier to discover. You had a nugget or a thought and you started a thread. Easy to do. Easy to recognize. 

Now it's not so easy. For all I know there's a fascinating conversation happening in some single corps thread. But unless I search all of the them, I'll never know. 

So start new threads and don’t worry about how other people post, lead by example and see if it takes

I can’t help but to feel this all based upon trying to control the content of the Cadets thread so it rubs me wrongly,  it seems really disingenuous to claim the entire site would better but overall I don’t care but

Edited by cowtown
l to e
  • Like 1

Seems as if most of the posters to this thread think I'm talking about the Cadets thread. I'm not. Except to to the extent it is one of several year-long threads. 

Are y'all going to take my word for it? Or are you going to do what you do so often in the Cadets thread and make it sinister?

Sinister?

Told ya  

So much in that thread seems context, poster related and borg controlled as to who is allowed to say what that I’d have a difficult time passing an editorial pronouncement

Handled with a bit more grace, it could be rather chilled

I think the hype threads are boring but do appreciate it’s what some posters want

58 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I think DCI learned that it is important to get its message out first, and if DCI does not, it will get out by other means. This year’s proposals is an excellent example, as compared to past issues which did not seem to be released in a timely manner, and caused controversy. I also agree with you regarding social media. Many corps are using it effectively. I think Crown was the pioneer in this regard, or at least it seemed to me Crown used Facebook to interact with supporters more than other corps though it didn’t take long for others to follow their lead. 

Many threads in the off season are just to fill time while we wait, and there can be some interesting  discussions, though some are silly. However, from May until September, if I don’t check DCP, I feel i’m missing something. From November till April, I may check DCP, but it’s more a habit. 

Regarding the thread in question, it is not just an off season problem. I find in the summer it’s worse. There is infighting among supporters which can resemble a family feud, detractors who cannot wait to take pop shots, and if you try and be objective, which may be positive but can also be critical, you can never be certain of the reaction. Maybe it’s a Northeast problem. Many of the supporters of the corps in question are from Yankee country, the detractors from Red Sox Nation, and the discussions are like the sports radio talk shows. 

the worst example of in corps fighting i've seen on here has been the Madison thread the last few summers. Makes the Cadets thread look tame

17 minutes ago, glory said:

Seems as if most of the posters to this thread think I'm talking about the Cadets thread. I'm not. Except to to the extent it is one of several year-long threads. 

Are y'all going to take my word for it? Or are you going to do what you do so often in the Cadets thread and make it sinister?

it happens in many of them. outside of occasional outbursts, i don't really see it being all that bad. 

What is the problem exactly? I'm not clear on it.

Stifled discussion?

Lack of new threads (new topics)?

Confusion about where to place or read content?

34 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

What is the problem exactly? I'm not clear on it.

Stifled discussion?

Lack of new threads (new topics)?

Confusion about where to place or read content?

The problem appears to be that a lot of posters are overly sensitive and can't handle a disagreement. Just say what you're gonna say and stop caring what other people think. My 2 cents

Well... I'm back to not agreeing with HockeyDad.

This is so wrong. My suggestion has nothing to do with any one thing in any one thread. 

I and others are saying we don't like hunting for discussions of interest within long, meandering threads. We're saying it's better for all if the discussions happen in finite threads with defined topics. 

Please don't ascribe any other motive to me in prompting this discussion. Believe it or not, you would be mistaken.