Moving to a top 4 corp

12 hours ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

My son is in his third year with a top 12 Corp, but wants to jump next year and audition for one of the top 4. How common is it for members to try this?  Part of me wants him to stay with the corp that gave him his first shot, but I also understand he wants to challenge himself to be the best.

Jump to Blue Devils and it's a GUARANTEED lock for that goal...

• Like 1

It's a great experience to audition for an elite organization. Get accepted or not - the experience will serve him well throughout life. 

21 hours ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

My son is in his third year with a top 12 Corp, but wants to jump next year and audition for one of the top 4. How common is it for members to try this?  Part of me wants him to stay with the corp that gave him his first shot, but I also understand he wants to challenge himself to be the best.

The best? The best at what? The best can be defined many ways. As a parent, I'd urge you to urge your child to precise about what "best" is before he or she follows the crowd to the best and misses something better.

Best might be winning a championship. Or it might not. Is being second - or fourth - best? Or more to my point, is there any doubt that doing my best is the best? If my best helps others to be their best, isn't that the best we can do? 

My opinion ... And it's just my opinion ... I can't speak about you and your child... My opinion is too many young people make the selfish choice. They seek out the prospect of ever more elite credentials. And for what? A summer last year at Crown or Bluecoats was several placement spots better than the six through 12 corps. But was it better? The best?

HH  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

Good luck to him on his move, if he decides to move.  One question to ask himself though is:  Who will next years top four be?  Could be a corps other than who was there last year or will be there this year?  He should look to see who at or near the top is appealing to him from a production and program standpoint and consider those factors.    He may decide that a move to one of the top four will land him with an experience he may not like as much as where he is at.   That is of course unless he doesn't like where he is at.  And what if his top 12 corps today ends up in 4th?  What if the corps he goes to falls below 4th?

Going to a top 4 and having a bad experience, to me, is not what I would want.  Having the time of my life and being with friends I've made is more important.  I'd rather work toward building something and improving.  It would be a longer lasting satisfaction.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

I'd rather work toward building something and improving.

You hear that so often (mostly from a corps trying to retain you), but then ... how realistic is it to expect your corps to actually make any significant improvement?  If he's currently top 12 but looking at top 4, then he's probably somewhere in 7-12, and  looking at the last three season's scores for those corps, we see no reason to automatically presume that another three years will necessarily build and improve any of them.  Sure, it could happen, but more often than not that's a fantasy.  Meteoric rises in today's DCI, like Boston experienced last season, are the exception, not the rule.  

• Scouts:  8 > 13 > 12
  • Crossmen: 12 > 10 > 11
  • Blue Stars:  11 > 9 > 10
  • Phantom:  7 > 8 > 9
  • Blue Knights:  6 > 7 >
  • Cadets:  4 > > 7

PS - I'm not necessarily saying he should definitely seek to move up.  It's just that I've heard that argument ad nauseam, and I just don't find it convincing.

• Like 1