Moving to a top 4 corp

if he wants to try, go for it. even if he makes the cut, that doesnt mean he has to stay there...who knows, he may go and decide it's not the fit for him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Eleran said:

You hear that so often (mostly from a corps trying to retain you), but then ... how realistic is it to expect your corps to actually make any significant improvement?  If he's currently top 12 but looking at top 4, then he's probably somewhere in 7-12, and  looking at the last three season's scores for those corps, we see no reason to automatically presume that another three years will necessarily build and improve any of them.  Sure, it could happen, but more often than not that's a fantasy.  Meteoric rises in today's DCI, like Boston experienced last season, are the exception, not the rule.  

• Scouts:  8 > 13 > 12
  • Crossmen: 12 > 10 > 11
  • Blue Stars:  11 > 9 > 10
  • Phantom:  7 > 8 > 9
  • Blue Knights:  6 > 7 >
  • Cadets:  4 > > 7

PS - I'm not necessarily saying he should definitely seek to move up.  It's just that I've heard that argument ad nauseam, and I just don't find it convincing.

I agree with you, and your numbers bear that out,  but I wanted to throw out the possibility of going for a top 4 corps does not necessarily mean they will be a top 4 corps once you are there.  I also wanted to point out that maybe moving to a top 4 corps results in being in a corps that he may not enjoy being with, as for my money, you need to like being where you are.  if not, then why do it?  What if he goes for (only an example folks) Bluecoats or Crown, thinking they are a lock for 4 or better and Cavies come along and Boston comes along and they drop back a placement.  Nothing is guaranteed.  I would suggest looking at a corps you like, then try out for that one.  Not a "any top 4 will do" kind of approach.  That probably happens but it isn't the path I would take.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

You hear that so often (mostly from a corps trying to retain you), but then ... how realistic is it to expect your corps to actually make any significant improvement? ...

I think what you've done is describe the issue itself. With the possible exception of BD (where a championship seems possible every year), kids leave their 7-12 corps in pursuit of what they hope will be an elite experience. The corps they left don't move up because they're being beaten by the very talent who left them behind.

I'm not making an argument that anyone owes his current corps anything (though he might). I'd just like to define success as something more than getting the highest score from the judges on Saturday night. If you're hanging your hat on that, you're not hanging it on much.

Edited by glory
  • Like 1

What his motivation for wanting to make the switch? I figure the obvious answer is 'a ring', but there's also something to be said about the experience that the top groups provide. 

• Like 1

Our son's marched for two different corps over the last couple of years, neither a finalist. This is his age-out year and he never thought for a second of going somewhere else, thinking of the first corps as his home (he was a late-season fill-in for the other corps).

Who's to say that's right for everyone though? If your kid has the chops and desire to audition for perennial contenders then that's what they should do.

go to a camp or two and see how it feels, he or she will know what to do. evaluate what you have and what you want

Edited by onionhead
  • Like 1

Really, it isn't just a top 4 these days. I'd say that it's back to top 6, or at least top 5 as it has been historically.

I say that your child should go where they are the happiest and where they are the best fit.  It's ok to try new things too.

• Thanks 1