2017 Programs: Direction to follow? Direction to abandon?

glory

HockeyDad inspired me. So here's my question to spark a little discussion during this quiet month.

Of the top six finishers' programs in 2017, which would you like to see continue as a direction for drum corps? And which would you like to see abandoned?

For reference, the top six finishers, in no particular order, were: BD, SCV, Crown, Cavies, Bluecoats and Boston.

Define the program attributes as you like. But know that this is a discussion about programs, not performance, staff, members, expenses, etc. Anyone who discusses anything except program will be required to read the Cadets 2018 thread from beginning to end.

The question again: 

Of the top six finishers' programs in 2017, which would you like to see continue as a direction for drum corps? And which would you like to see abandoned?

Edited by glory

56 minutes ago, glory said:

of programs , HockeyDad inspired me. So here's my question to spark a little discussion during this quiet month.of course leaving out staff, members, ex

For reference, the top six finishers, in no particular order, were: BD, SCV, Crown, Cavies, Bluecoats and Boston.

Define the program attributes as you like. But know that this is a discussion about programs, not performance, staff, members, expenses, etc. Anyone who discusses anything except program will be required to read the Cadets 2018 thread from beginning to end.

The question again: 

I think if you want to get a feel for likes or dislikes moving forward, I thin k there are a few things you might be leaving out to get an assessment.  

1st , why top 6 only? Leaving scores out, because any corps could have gone in front of or behind the other easily, there are many corps throughout the placements who can innovate, drive an idea or direction.

2nd Leaving out expense can also drive what a corps chooses to do in a program or not, not that one is better than the other but to like, or dislike something could have everything to do with what a corps is able to do within a program or not.  What one loves in a program ( or hate ) could have everything to do with expense )

Sorry to maybe over think the question BUT I know how this works from personal experience and everything we do today doesn't necessarily have to come out of top 6 and money is a huge factor in almost everything done.

You can use those top 6 BUT maybe get a broader and more accurate picture, looking throughout..just a thought.:14_relaxed:

• Like 1

If I had to choose I'd say Boston for continuing. This is pretty tough to answer as each show had parts I liked and those I'd rather not see again. So I'll choose things from each group I want to continue and those I want abandoned. 

Continued: 

BD - Entertainment factor, Uniforms, Emotional appeal

SCV - Drill, Highly technical colorguard, Visual design in general

Crown - Drill, Uniforms, The Opener

The Cavaliers - Entertainment factor, Uniforms, Star of Indiana jokes

Bloo - Music selection, Crowd appeal

Boston - Pretty much everything. Some more meaty programs, but they get a pass since it was their first year with the new crew

Abandoned: 

BD: Rihanna, Difficulty of drill (I didn't think it was easy, but they can handle more), 

SCV: Uniforms, Giving most of the brass contributions to a group of miced players, Constant percussion breaks

Crown: SINGERS, Boards that trip up the members as they march, Percussion tag endings

Cavs: Short musical phrases, annoying sound effects

Bloo: Uniforms, playing a ballad through mics and speakers, Giant immovable props that shake when the members move on it, Covering one of the best tuba lines in DCI with synth

Boston: Like I said they get a pass

Edited by Brass Lover
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

...Boston - Pretty much everything. Some more meaty programs, but they get a pass since it was their first year with the new crew ...

Thanks for playing. Warning though: The part I highlighted could get you sent back to the Cadets 2018 thread. Not programming!

2 minutes ago, glory said:

Thanks for playing. Warning though: The part I highlighted could get you sent back to the Cadets 2018 thread. Not programming!

Well my only complaint is level of content, which is given a pass since the designers programed something within Boston's reach at the time. So it does have something to do with programming :laughing: I'm sure it won't be a concern for their 2018 production.

1 hour ago, glory said:

HockeyDad inspired me. So here's my question to spark a little discussion during this quiet month.

The question again: 

I appreciate the thoughtfulness of your post...but wish you would ADD your thoughts on the topic as a starter.

47 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

If I had to choose I'd say Boston for continuing. This is pretty tough to answer as each show had parts I liked and those I'd rather not see again. So I'll choose things from each group I want to continue and those I want abandoned. 

Continued: 

BD - Entertainment factor, Uniforms, Emotional appeal

SCV - Drill, Highly technical colorguard, Visual design in general

Crown - Drill, Uniforms, The Opener

The Cavaliers - Entertainment factor, Uniforms, Star of Indiana jokes

Bloo - Music selection, Crowd appeal

Boston - Pretty much everything. Some more meaty programs, but they get a pass since it was their first year with the new crew

Abandoned: 

BD: Rihanna, Difficulty of drill (I didn't think it was easy, but they can handle more), 

SCV: Uniforms, Giving most of the brass contributions to a group of miced players, Constant percussion breaks

Crown: SINGERS, Boards that trip up the members as they march, Percussion tag endings

Cavs: Short musical phrases, annoying sound effects

Bloo: Uniforms, playing a ballad through mics and speakers, Giant immovable props that shake when the members move on it, Covering one of the best tuba lines in DCI with synth

Boston: Like I said they get a pass

Pretty much this.

• Like 1