A Woman Marching for Madison: A member this time?

glory

36 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If the Scouts do eventually go co-ed, should they retroactively grant membership status to the female featured performers of 1971 and 2005?

They should have been members in the first place. If you're in the show, you're part of the corps. The rest is just gender.

• Like 1

The question for Madison should be ..Why are they "allowing" only ONE female !!! It is 2018  .Does Madison have a Rule/policy that prohibits qualified females from becoming members ?   Why would they want to hype the fact that they are going to have and "feature" a female  performer as if it was some kind of breakthrough event .  Females have and continue to be outstanding drum corps performers in many many corps over many many years . Are the Cavaliers next ? or does Drum Corps have some "tradition" where corps can exclude females from becoming members.  

43 minutes ago, Albster said:

The question for Madison should be ..Why are they "allowing" only ONE female !!! It is 2018  .Does Madison have a Rule/policy that prohibits qualified females from becoming members ?   Why would they want to hype the fact that they are going to have and "feature" a female  performer as if it was some kind of breakthrough event .  Females have and continue to be outstanding drum corps performers in many many corps over many many years . Are the Cavaliers next ? or does Drum Corps have some "tradition" where corps can exclude females from becoming members.  

Your last two sentences contradict themselves buddy.

“In developing the 2018 production, we have dedicated ourselves to pushing the boundaries of the organization’s identity, while honing in on our long history of captivating the DCI community through performance,” said Program Coordinator Nick Monzi. “We see this role as an opportunity to improve the accessibility, intrigue, and entertainment value of the production, while opening the Scouts family to another outstanding musician and person.”

Quoted from the article with emphasis added. 

Dedicated to pushing the boundaries of the Scouts identity. In my surprise at the use of the term "member" in the announcement, I missed that in my initial read. Sounds major.

Edited by glory

47 minutes ago, glory said:

Can they? Are the "featured performers" who weren't members in the past members of the brotherhood as alumnae? 

Are you implying that a person who only marches with a corps for one season cannot be considered an alumni member?  Not too many BD alumni around I guess.  

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Are you implying that a person who only marches with a corps for one season cannot be considered an alumni member?  Not too many BD alumni around I guess.  

I'm not implying anything. I'm just reporting history. Madison went to great lengths to make clear in 2005 that the woman who was central to their Carmen show WAS NOT a member. They used the circumlocution "featured performer" to describe her instead. With that as context, I'm merely asking could she now be a member of the brotherhood as an alumnae of the corp - particularly if this latest young woman is to be an actual member, future almuna and potential "brother."

Edited by glory