A Woman Marching for Madison: A member this time?

glory

33 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Maybe he feels you or anyone not ever being a Scout alum has any kind of a dog in the fight so to speak. Just participating in posting on DCP doesn't necessarily mean you need to comment ...

That attitude doesn't wash (I realize you're explaining, not advocating). And it's indicative of something that has all too often robbed this activity of a better future. 

Passionate alums are one thing. Alums who think they have all the rights are another. It would be one thing were they invested in the future. It's another when it's the past that's the priority.

What Madison is doing is a drum corps topic of which Scouts alum are one point not  the only point.

3 minutes ago, Opti-Burr said:

My question on this topic would be if this "feature performer" isn't classed a member, will there still be 150 male members in the corps? If so, this could open an ugly can of worms with other Drum Corps.

Lots of corps have “featured performers” whether they are named this or not. The vocalists who are not drummers, in the pit, or play a brass instrument, color guard members who have more prominent role, etc. They are still counted as members as far as DCI is concerned, regardless how the corps classifies them. I recall this issue coming up in 2015 when Blue Devils has the young girl appear at the end of the show. There were questions as to whether a marching member was not used so she could be part of the show.

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

... I recall this issue coming up in 2015 when Blue Devils has the young girl appear at the end of the show. There were questions as to whether a marching member was not used so she could be part of the show.

That was a "featured performer." She was member of the C corps, as I recall. She only marched finals week with the BD "A" corps for this specific effect/impact. I hope they gave her a championship ring. Question is whether it was sized to fit her now or forever.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah #### their founder Bill Howard for putting his daughter out there in 1971. Oh wait, that's the first time drum corps died right?

Exactly. Saying that doing this is going to kill the corps is just nonsense. Although, I'm not surprised the comment was made.

Although to correct, Bill Howard was not the found of the corps. He was corps director in 1971. The corps was founded by a group of Madison businessmen, with C.H. Beebe appointed as their first director.

2 hours ago, cowtown said:

Manufactured controversy to gain attention in an attempt to remain relevant in the off season

Why else release this without context or show info?

Slightly annoying as a cheap play by their media team, bad hype

As to ‘the issue’, it’s amazing how little I care

Agreed. It’s gimmicky and embarrassing. I haven’t been a fan of the current admin for awhile now. I won’t pretend to have the answers because this isn’t what I do for a living. However, I think the corps has missed finals more under the current admin’s watch than anytime in the history of DCI and I firmly believe the two are correlated.

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

Exactly. Saying that doing this is going to kill the corps is just nonsense. Although, I'm not surprised the comment was made.

Although to correct, Bill Howard was not the found of the corps. He was corps director in 1971. The corps was founded by a group of Madison businessmen, with C.H. Beebe appointed as their first director.

Well, the Madison Scouts will cease to be the Madison Scouts, for all intents and purposes, so there’s that.

3 hours ago, Opti-Burr said:

My question on this topic would be if this "feature performer" isn't classed a member, will there still be 150 male members in the corps? If so, this could open an ugly can of worms with other Drum Corps.

If you mean the overall size limit of the corps.... I would think that the young woman would count against the size limit, as would anyone else on the field performing with the corps, regardless of whether the corps formally calls her a "member" or not.