A Woman Marching for Madison: A member this time?

glory

3 hours ago, glory said:

That attitude doesn't wash (I realize you're explaining, not advocating). And it's indicative of something that has all too often robbed this activity of a better future. 

Passionate alums are one thing. Alums who think they have all the rights are another. It would be one thing were they invested in the future. It's another when it's the past that's the priority.

What Madison is doing is a drum corps topic of which Scouts alum are one point not  the only point.

when it comes to alums invested in the future, I'm pretty sure Madison is at the top of the list

2 hours ago, tesmusic said:

Exactly. Saying that doing this is going to kill the corps is just nonsense. Although, I'm not surprised the comment was made.

Although to correct, Bill Howard was not the found of the corps. He was corps director in 1971. The corps was founded by a group of Madison businessmen, with C.H. Beebe appointed as their first director.

correct! sorry for the error!

11 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

If you mean the overall size limit of the corps.... I would think that the young woman would count against the size limit, as would anyone else on the field performing with the corps, regardless of whether the corps formally calls her a "member" or not.

and isn't in 154 now?

25 minutes ago, skevinp said:

That describes my love life, and it hasn't killed me.

Ok, you win the internet today. The rest of us can stop trying now...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

Well, the Madison Scouts will cease to be the Madison Scouts, for all intents and purposes, so there’s that.

Madison got its start as a Boy Scout Troop, and some years went by Madison Explorer Scouts, Explorers have allowed young women for years, and Boy Scouts now allows girls to join (it is a council by council decision, is still being implemented, and some councils may choose to continue to be boys only), would Madison cease being Madison if young women were to join their ranks? Depends on whether the tradition is based on the Scouting which came first, or the all male that continued after the corps was no longer affiliated with Scouting.

Personally, I have no problem with Madison or Cavies being all male. I know the strong sense of brotherhood is important for Madison alums and I know it is still important for some marching members today. For me, Madison Scouts ceases to be Madison, or at least does feel like Madison when that classic Madison sound is missing. As much as I enjoyed 2011, 2013, and 2015, they were not perfect Madison shows, but each had that Madison spark and sound people love. That’s what I’d love to see, in a way that is relevant and competitive, not a small challenge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBadMadMan said:

Well, the Madison Scouts will cease to be the Madison Scouts, for all intents and purposes, so there’s that.

I don't get this.  There were many corps that prohibited girls in the horn line thinking that was the end of them if they did.  Many of them are still around and flourishing. Is it a gender thing for you?   There were corps last year who many thought were going to fail because they lost their identity by changing uni's.    "They are not who they were" was the cry.   Well they are who they were and they are a better version of who they were.  Welcome to 2018.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I don't get this.  There were many corps that prohibited girls in the horn line thinking that was the end of them if they did.  Many of them are still around and flourishing. Is it a gender thing for you?   There were corps last year who many thought were going to fail because they lost their identity by changing uni's.    "They are not who they were" was the cry.   Well they are who they were and they are a better version of who they were.  Welcome to 2018.

I integrated a brassline in 1972.  SCV didn’t have female brass players until 1981.  I thought that was their best brassline up to that time. 

2 hours ago, BigBadMadMan said:

You've been saying stuff like that for years. Maybe it's time to find a different line.

• Like 1