mkcarlson

A Look Back at 1971-1972

I also remember that we later called DCI the "Death to Competing Institutions" as the American Legion, VFW, and Fleetwood Recordings all began their slow deaths as did three of the original bonded corps from the east BSGK, Blue Rock and St Rita's Brassmen. I am confident that both Blue Rock and St Rita's would have made finals at 72 DCI.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DCI'72 said:

I also remember that we later called DCI the "Death to Competing Institutions" as the American Legion, VFW, and Fleetwood Recordings all began their slow deaths as did three of the original bonded corps from the east BSGK, Blue Rock and St Rita's Brassmen. I am confident that both Blue Rock and St Rita's would have made finals at 72 DCI.

I agree... the Brassmen in particular.

And in 1973 for the Brassmen, too.

What could have been...

On 5/9/2018 at 8:41 PM, Fran Haring said:

I agree... the Brassmen in particular.

And in 1973 for the Brassmen, too.

What could have been...

Kiltie junior had beat St. Rita’s Brassman by 3.5 points at 72’ World Open and never understood why they didn’t go to DCI. They were 2nd in WO prelims and finals. 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

Kiltie junior had beat St. Rita’s Brassman by 3.5 points at 72’ World Open and never understood why they didn’t go to DCI. They were 2nd in WO prelims and finals. 

I agree, Jim.... too bad Brassmen didn't make the trip. At that World Open title show, they beat four corps that would make DCI finals that year..... Muchachos, Des Plaines Vanguard, Bridgemen, and Bleu Raeders. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 1:47 AM, DCI'72 said:

Not sure what you mean by "bonded corps"... but if you mean original DCI members, the Brassmen were not one of those.

1971 was a kind of baptism for me.The previous season  I had been the assistant brass instructor for Garfield, under my mentor the incomparable John Sasso. When he left in the Fall to start his own company, I got a battlefield promotion and became the "temporary" caption head by default while a search went on for his replacement.

As time went on, we needed music for the Revolutionary War show that John and the rest of the staff (Hugh Mahon, Bobby Hoffman, Pete Emmons, George Tuttle, Ray Cappiccile) had already planned. I took a shot at writing the "Yankee Doodle" opener.

The heavies were pleased, the search cancelled, and I got to arrange the rest of what became a pretty controversial show in a year of many such productions. Having never written anybody's entire show before, I was overjoyed, but I also knew I was in way over my head. Thankfully, they hired the brilliant Larry Schillings to teach brass technique. At least he had an actual music degree.

The show's strongest impact came from the fertile minds of Hoffman and Emmons, who decided that the mandatory color presentation should consist of Battle Hymn (admittedly an anachronism for 1776)  with a dozen or so American flags showcased in a Peace Sign. 

Imagine the reaction of the Legion and VFW folks at those national championships...in 1971.

• Thanks 2