SCV vs BD? Better job at retention.

glory

I was reading an item on SCV's site about encouraging consistency and coordination for brass in both the Vanguard and Vanguard Cadet corps. It included this line:

This effort to align the Vanguard brass programs under a common vision will help to achieve the goal of stronger retention between the two drum corps. 

Got me wondering. Which corps does the best job of developing players in the B/Cadet corps for the premier corps. SCV? BD? 

I have no idea. Do you?

Someone who is familiar with either of these corps might have some idea.  BD usually puts the best overall talent on the field for all sections.  With BD signing on so many one and done mm, cracking the A corps might be tough for their B corps.  As for the genesis of your post, I'd give the edge to BDB since they have a higher placement average I believe than SCVC.

I'm not sure that this is on topic, but I found something quite puzzling about SCV. As far back as the 70s, Vanguard was the standard for design and class. They drummed spectacularly and were rewarded for their drill design. Still the ONLY corps to appear in EVERY DCI Finals, they couldn't win High Brass until 1984, and that was a 3-way tie. Their only other Ott trophy was 1987 -- another tie. Now, that caption has been utterly dominated by a small cadre of corps: BD, Phantom, Star, Cadets, Madison and now Crown. Is there something philosophical behind this, or does SCV just not use the right people?

Footnote(s): NINE different Brass winners from 1972 through 2017.

BD has posted numbers of where their membership came from, I think 36 were from BDB last year (but someone should double check as I do get things wrong)

No idea of SCV’s number but they are on an huge uptick and I think that would affect retention going forward

In the days of old when BD and SCV were equals, it was mainly a choice of style or section but there was a ton of back and forth between the corps. I’d be curious to know if SCV has been feeding BD the past few years and if that is changing now

10 hours ago, cowtown said:

I’d be curious to know if SCV has been feeding BD the past few years and if that is changing now

It isn't all the uncommon for there to be former SCV members who age out with BD.

I would also guess that BD probably has had the fewest vets of any corps that leave the corps to march elsewhere.

Edited by Beckham

4 hours ago, corps8294 said:

A member of the Blue Devils aged out as a member of the Blue Stars in '16.

Blue Devils A?

Where do most BDB non-ageouts go? Do they stay with BDB, move on to the A corps, not march, or march somewhere else? Of those options, I've heard the latter the least. Meanwhile, I've heard of many members throughout the World Class corps who marched previously with SCVC.

That said, I've also known many a member who marched with SCV (A corps) and then marched somewhere else the year after. I don't know if I've heard of anyone who marched with BD (A corps) and marched somewhere else the following year.