All time shows: Bluecoats

4 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

2016 - Sown Side Up

2014 - Tilt

2017 - Jagged Line

2015 - Kinetic Noise

2008 - The Knockout

Was Sown Side Up some sort of homage to the Amish lifestyle show?  I can't really remember that one   

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Was Sown Side Up some sort of homage to the Amish lifestyle show?  I can't really remember that one   

That would be their show "Agriculture."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
Cadevilina Crown beat me to the punch line.

On 2/27/2018 at 7:24 PM, ThePlanets said:

What are your top 1-5 Bluecoats shows?

Oh boy.  :) 

If you hadn't said 1 - 5 I might have listed........a  lot more than that.  My top ten or so favorites includes a good 4 or 5 from them so I think it's probably safe to say that I really really really enjoy what they offer year after year.  2009 was the first drum corps I saw live so they'll always have a special place in my heart, and even some of their recent competitive misfires have been incredibly enjoyable, 2011s opener being one of my all time favorites despite placing the lowest they have in recent memory.  2017 didn't quite come together like the prior three shows but holy hell it was fun to watch and listen to.  I just connect with what they do.  

1. 2015 - (Listening to this show as I write this actually) Kinetic Noise shell shocked me on first viewing like few other shows have (funnily enough two others on this list are in that club).  For me personally that was like watching and hearing something unlike anything I had heard before in terms of the sound design and approach to that aspect of the show that few others had really explored on that scale in this idiom.  The way they captured the essence of minimalist material and presented it in a way that was incredibly exciting and accessible is just absolutely masterful arranging by Thrower/Rarick; the two minutes before the ballad = pure ethereal bliss every time I watch it.   
  2. 2014 - The cliche perhaps but cliches exist for a reason.  This show is a simple, but a complete thought on almost every single level  beginning to end.  After a saturation of so many shows that were pretty heavy to dig through and digest at the top this was such a breath of fresh air in the upper echelon.  Simple concept executed brilliantly.  Loved every part of the show, not just the ending......but what an absolutely bombastic and exciting ending it was.  
  3. 2016 - 2013 sewed the seeds, 2014 and 2015 capitalized on the ideas they began, and 2016 perfected the craft.  You can say you've seen all the elements they used in this show somewhere before but not packaged all together in a seamless and fantastically executed package like this.  As soon as they ran out from behind the ramps at the tour premier I had that feeling that this was their year and low and behold it was.  This show was just non stop excitement and energy on the musical front, and visually they integrated and used props about as well as anyone has lately IMO.  And it was FUN.  Yes it was nuts and pretty risky but in a way that was incredibly infectious.  It was a blast following them to their first championship that year.  
  4. 2010 - This show really satisfied my weird taste for shows that have a darker tone to them, love love love the 160 BPM section especially, that's just everything that I love about drum corps.  
  5. 2006 - I listen to this one all the time, such fun and exciting music that year and they sound absolutely fantastic and pure.  

I could go on and on about pretty much every show of the 20th Century and a handful before that (my own fault for not watching enough before the FN went bye bye) but I can hardly think of a show that I didn't enjoy in some way shape or form.  I'm excited to see what they're doing in 2018.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Oh boy.  :) 

If you hadn't said 1 - 5 I might have listed........a  lot more than that.  My top ten or so favorites includes a good 4 or 5 from them so I think it's probably safe to say that I really really really enjoy what they offer year after year. 

I could go on and on about pretty much every show of the 20th Century and a handful before that (my own fault for not watching enough before the FN went bye bye) but I can hardly think of a show that I didn't enjoy in some way shape or form.  I'm excited to see what they're doing in 2018.  

Me too! That's why I am only halfway through my book on page 2. 

What percussion features do you like from them? 

1. 2015 - Kinetic Noise
My hands-down favorite show of all time. It has everything I could ever want. It makes me bob my head. The ballad is gorgeous. There's a stereo contra feature. I'm sold. 

2. 2005 - Caravan
Loved the music. Really fun concept that married the version 1.0 Bluecoats with Blood 2.0. Right show. Right year. 

3. 2017 - Jagged Line
Lots of attitude in the visual program. Though I usually FF through the ballad, Psychopomp and Zomby Woof are 2 of my favorite arrangements anyone has ever done. If anyone out there hasn't listened to the Thank You Scientist album that Psychopomp comes from, check it. One of my favorite current bands, and a potential killer source of more field material in the future for some groups. 

4. 2016 - Downside Up
I'll never forget seeing this live for the first time in spring training and thinking how the entire activity was about to change forever. The last 30 seconds of this might be my favorite 30 seconds ever in a show. These guys came out every night like a cross between rock stars and super heroes. If I could get a time machine and march any show ever, this is it. 

5. 2001 - Latin Sketches
The winter camp where the corps read through Red Cape Tango for the first time was the moment the corps shifted for good. Guard choreo. in the ballad was gorgeous. 

Honorable mentions:
1999 - The Music of Chick Corea (got me hooked with Armando's Rhumba)
2008 - The Knockout (ballad and closer... YES)
1998 - Four Seasons of Jazz (gratuitous screaming and maybe the Autumn Leaves that's aged the best)
1986 - untitled (Hungarian Dance no. 5... only jazz? Really fun to listen to)
2000 - Threshold (because I'm definitely gonna end this list on a biased note. Also, the closer w/ duet)

• Like 4