Why 1976?

Not too bad, off by a day after 42 years. Was it Madison’s bus that broke down in the desert or 27th’s?

16 hours ago, regimental1 said:

Not too bad, off by a day after 42 years. Was it Madison’s bus that broke down in the desert or 27th’s?

I don't remember the buses breaking down in the desert on that tour but they broke down A LOT so it sure is a possibility. One thing I do remember about that day is that we were staying in Gilbert and it was like 110 degrees so we rehearsed music to the new show inside all day. I do remember going into a bar with some other 21 year old guys and they wouldn't serve us - even soda. Don't know if it was because some of us were black or because we were a bunch of long hairs. Gilbert was quite a small town at that time, I'm sure its much different today. You did get to witness our "disco show" before it was sent to the drum corps scrap pile.

After trying to explain Drum Corps to my Arizona friends for years, I dragged them to that show. They were blown away. Some of them still attend the Academy show every year.

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2018 at 6:18 AM, KeithHall said:

Schaumburg Guardsmen were in 31st in '75 and slide into 12th place in '76. 

Actually, we went from 31st to tied for tenth in prelims with Seneca Optimists.   We went on second to last in prelims and had very little time between prelims and finals.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Actually, we went from 31st to tied for tenth in prelims with Seneca Optimists.   We went on second to last in prelims and had very little time between prelims and finals.  

That is a crazy short turnaround, for sure.

All the years that the DCA title show was the "prelims-finals in one day" format, I never saw a corps do two truly great performances in that same day.

I would imagine that held up for the DCI corps in that era as well, for the most part.

And it seemed that corps battling to make finals certainly put their focus on their prelims performance, since that was do or die.  So,  perhaps not as much gas left in the tank for finals.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That is a crazy short turnaround, for sure.

All the years that the DCA title show was the "prelims-finals in one day" format, I never saw a corps do two truly great performances in that same day.

I would imagine that held up for the DCI corps in that era as well, for the most part.

And it seemed that corps "on the bubble"... battling just to get into finals... certainly put their focus on their prelims performance, since that was do or die.  And as a result, perhaps not as much gas left in the tank for finals.  LOL.

We were so emotionally spent that there was no way the finals show would ever live up to prelims.  Thankfully, the next season finals were held the day after prelims.  

• Like 1

Thinking back....1976 was really a fun year! Lots of celebrations happening all over the country and being out of the Vietnam fiasco was helpful too. The summer for drum corps was just fun and if you don't agree (that's okay) something was wrong!

We started competitions in May in Canton, OH the weekend before Memorial Day and then off to Michigan for 2 shows before heading home to 3 parades. We actually went to competitions in early June. I believe we did one or two shows after DCI finals in Philly. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 7:19 AM, KeithHall said:

Thinking back....1976 was really a fun year! Lots of celebrations happening all over the country and being out of the Vietnam fiasco was helpful too. The summer for drum corps was just fun and if you don't agree (that's okay) something was wrong!

We started competitions in May in Canton, OH the weekend before Memorial Day and then off to Michigan for 2 shows before heading home to 3 parades. We actually went to competitions in early June. I believe we did one or two shows after DCI finals in Philly. 

I think you might be right about a show or 2 AFTER finals. I think there might have been a show in Hershey, PA to catch the Corps' returning home after Philly.

2 hours ago, denmum said:

I think you might be right about a show or 2 AFTER finals. I think there might have been a show in Hershey, PA to catch the Corps' returning home after Philly.

Yes, those Hershey shows, which were exhibitions, had some experimental "judging" measured by audience reaction, among other things.

On 9/3/2018 at 1:21 PM, Northern Thunder said:

Yes, those Hershey shows, which were exhibitions, had some experimental "judging" measured by audience reaction, among other things.

Yes Westshoremen hosted both shows. Experimental judging was audited (so the program said) by a CPA (he played mid voice in Westshore). Great shows and great money maker which the corps needed as we were rebuilding.