Crossmen Announce 2018 Program

Crossmen Drum Corps presents their 2018 program, “The In-Between” • Exploring the space between the no longer and the not yet. • Musical selections include: Funeral For A Friend – Elton John Upside Down – Andrew Markworth Symphony No. 6 – Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky Sweetness Follows – R.E.M. Read the rest of the article here.

View the full article

• Like 1

I'll tell you what: if some of these corps put less effort into out-theming each other (and attempting the best pre-season poster) and more effort into creating/presenting entertaining, understandable, compelling programs, many of us old timers (who have the money) might be more excited about DCI.

• Like 1

And when I say "old timers," at my first live show in 1985, people were complaining about guards dancing, no headgear, drill designs that were (gasp) completely abstract and weird musical choices like "Jeremiah." At the Key to the Sea show, some were complaining that the Cavaliers sold out, because the guard guys were using red balls during "Uranus." I loved all that stuff, so I'm not THAT old. :whistle:

Edited by Tad_MMA

The space between the no longer and the not yet.....  hmm...  isn't that - the present?

So Crossmen's show is:  The Present. 

• Thanks 2

My question is - how does this type of theme even come across visually ????  These are the kind of thematic ideas that drive me crazy - because you can't really see any of it in the show unless you have a complete understanding of it.   Some of these themes are just to esoteric to work and Crossmen seems to be a victim of this the last few years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

I'll tell you what: if some of these corps put less effort into out-theming each other (and attempting the best pre-season poster) and more effort into creating/presenting entertaining, understandable, compelling programs, many of us old timers (who have the money) might be more excited about DCI.

You took the words right out of my mouth. ($1 to Meatloaf).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

Hmmmm, I'm from the era of which you speak, and I like the shows today. To each his own I guess.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Hmmmm, I'm from the era of which you speak, and I like the shows today. To each his own I guess.

Yes. In general I have really enjoyed crossmen shows from the past 5 years much more than those from the 90s and 00s. 02 would be the exception- I love that show

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

And when I say "old timers," at my first live show in 1985, people were complaining about guards dancing, no headgear, drill designs that were (gasp) completely abstract and weird musical choices like "Jeremiah." At the Key to the Sea show, some were complaining that the Cavaliers sold out, because the guard guys were using red balls during "Uranus." I loved all that stuff, so I'm not THAT old. :whistle:

Hmmm...my marching era started 20 years before yours, and I love shows of today. 

I really am THAT old.      :1_grinning:

• Like 2