All time shows: Troopers

1983, for the music.  

• Like 2

There are three corps from 1979 that have stood the listening test of time for me: Guardsmen (my corps), Spirit (Nutsville!), and Troopers.  It was a hype having Troopers in Finals that year, and their closer of Ecstasy in Gold/Ghost Riders was pure adrenaline . Still gives me goosebumps. 

So while the Bluecoats (last poll) had so many shows you couldn't go wrong with, for me the Troopers are about so many missed opportunities. 

Favorites -

Hero (2016) - for the music.  Not the uniforms.  Which were by far the worst the corps has ever looked.  But man, they played *really* well, and to some pretty aggressive charts.

Wild Horses (2015) - for the visual.  Not so much the music, which aside from Wild Horses, was kind of meh.  But they sucked me in with the drill and the guard.

Southwestern Sketches (1994) - doesn't hold up so well today, but for the bugle days, this corps came out of nowhere with a *very* strong brass line playing a definite upgrade in difficulty.  Felt like kind of a one-year wonder though, as they were near the bottom of D1 before that and went back to near the bottom of D1 after.

Not-so-Favorites -

Magnificent 11 (2013) - I know the Troopers kind of have their schtick built in, but it's a pretty big sandbox with lots of room to play.  You don't have to sit in the center of it and build the same sand castle each year.

This Was the Future (2012) - so disappointing, only because they *were* trying to expand the sandbox, and retreated right when it could have been so, so much more.  As annoying as the "Hero" part of Hero was, they were moving out of their comfort zone a bit.  I *really* hope the 2018 repertoire turns out to be true; I think it will be great if they manage to figure out that tightrope between Western and modern.

Mike

2 hours ago, quietcity said:

There are three corps from 1979 that have stood the listening test of time for me: Guardsmen (my corps), Spirit (Nutsville!), and Troopers.  It was a hype having Troopers in Finals that year, and their closer of Ecstasy in Gold/Ghost Riders was pure adrenaline . Still gives me goosebumps. 

Your corps was smokin by Finals that year. Didn't they jump from 9th to 7th prelims to finals?

For Troopers: 

1976, not their greatest year since they fell from the top 12 for the first time (would have been 1975 if not for Muchachos disqualification), but it was the first time I saw them live.

1985, a very good year for the corps.

2013, thought it might be a return to finals.

2016, had an amazing semi’s performance. I’m a BAC fan and sat with lots of Madison folks. Lots of nervous folks.

I'm going with my sentimental WINNER of 1986.  The very FIRST drum corps I ever saw and I fell in :inlove: with the activity ever since. :)

27 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Your corps was smokin by Finals that year. Didn't they jump from 9th to 7th prelims to finals?

Thanks! That year was the most fun I ever had in drum corps (on the field, at least). And we jumped from 10th in prelims to 7th in finals. Words cannot describe how we all felt when scores were announced at Finals, as we passed North Star, then Blue Stars, and finally Madison. One of my great memories. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bldbrkr said:

The were' in 12th in prelims and finals in '79.

Troopers were. We were talking about the Guardsmen. Sorry for going off topic. 79 was quite a year. The original (and still best) Elsa's was played that year by Regiment. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, quietcity said:

I marched with you in 78.