All time shows: Troopers

Jeez.... I've very rarely ever felt like I really have been into what they did when I've seen them over the decades.... though what pre-DCI footage I've seen is impressive.

There's one show I've really, really liked... the other likes are way behind it:

Other ones I like-

1973 (soft spot for Black Saddle)

1975 (soft spot for Introduction and Fantasia though the composer drove me nuts as a kid)

1971(got to have the pre DCI end represented to be fair)

Dislikes

1979 *koff koff koff koff*

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Thanks!  It was 2009.  Time goes by fast.  Nine years ago. 

F Troop Faves:

1968:  Absoulte stunning job at CYO Nationals.  Won in a walk.  Whipped the pack. Probably surprised themselves.

1964:  Yeah, "1964".  Hammered the World Open Prelim crowd with their INCREDIBLE marching execution.  Missed Finals due to low drum score.  Did a repeat at WO Bridgeport Finals that night in exibition.  Gave notice.

1965:  They "Arrived"  Beat all the biggies at least one time and stagecoached off to Casper with the WO title.

1966:  POSSIBLY their best program of that decade.  Chicago Cavaliers penalty in VFW Finals got F Troop  the Vets Championship that year.  They won Prelims, I thought they had Finals also..........

1970:  Rolled over evryone, lost only to Cavaliers,  Santa Clara and Blessed Sacrament  (WO Prelims).    Strong overall show, last year of National titles  (CYO, WO and VFW).

Elphaba        :flower:

50 minutes ago, elphaba01 said:

1965:  They "Arrived"  Beat all the biggies at least one time and stagecoached off to Casper with the WO title.

1970:  Rolled over evryone, lost only to Cavaliers,  Santa Clara and Blessed Sacrament  (WO Prelims).    Strong overall show, last year of National titles  (CYO, WO and VFW).

65  I always thought the Royal Airs went undefeated that year.

70  As Boston was heading towards the finish line, some SAC alum announced to the Boston alum nearby, "you got it tonight Boston".  Then the scores were announced.  Oh well, at least Boston had top drums.

50 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t think RA went to World Open. 

Elphabao1 typed that the Troopers beat all the biggies at least once.  So, no matter the "contest", I thought RA went undefeated in 65.  But, after some searching, they went undefeated from July to the end of the season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BigW said:

Jeez.... I've very rarely ever felt like I really have been into what they did when I've seen them over the decades.... though what pre-DCI footage I've seen is impressive.

There's one show I've really, really liked... the other likes are way behind it:

Other ones I like-

1973 (soft spot for Black Saddle)

1975 (soft spot for Introduction and Fantasia though the composer drove me nuts as a kid)

1971(got to have the pre DCI end represented to be fair)

Dislikes

1979 *koff koff koff koff*

I liked them in ‘73 except for the Godspell. 

Odd, that. West Chester was known for it's James Burden Godspell arrangement where we sang for part of it and it always got a really nice crowd response in that 80's era.

Just not as familiar with F-Troop pre 1979. And when I did see them in the 80's they just appeared to be stuck in the same rut design-wise and didn't seem to be able to get out of it. it just appears to me that from say... 1966ish to 1974ish they were downright brilliant and very innovative during that period visually and arranging brass-wise then decided to stick with what got them there and never managed to get away from it while everyone else grew and passed them by- especially Vanguard, BD, and Two-Seven.

• Like 1

In the 60's, in the pre DCI years, a lot of emphasis on the judging sheets was really on performance execution. This was an era before highly creative and elaborate drill designs came into being that accelerated in the DCI years. As such, how one marched and played, really was what got Corps high scores. This was the era of the " Tick System ", where a tenth ( a " tick ") was deducted off the sheets by judges for bad execution by individual marchers in Brass playing, Drums playing, Color Guard Equipment work, and Marching ( called" M & M"... Marching & Maneuvering ).

The reason I mention this on this thread re. the Troopers is because while the Troopers really were 1st rate for much of the decade from the mid 60's to the early 70's in Drums, Brass, Color Guard, they had quite a few show performances at the National Championships in the 60's, and pre DCI, ( VFW, American Legion, CYO, World Open, American Open, etc ) where their outstanding execution performance in M& M ( Marching ) was what put them over the top. They really could  March  in these years better than a lot of the Corps in their top tier placement range. One of their signature drill moves back then ( legacy fans here would know this ) was called " The Sunburst ", and typically it was executed flawlessly by their marchers by the time Championships rolled around. Whoever was teaching them M& M  in these Championship winning years ( or Medal Years ) really knew how to get their Troopers Corps to excel particularly well in this caption. I want to say it was Jim Jones himself ( Troopers Founder )that was working the Corps at their practices to get them so clean and polished in M & M  , but not entirely sure. It could have been others. But in any event, Man, could the Troopers march well in this era.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1