All time shows: Phantom Regiment

Shout out to 2004: Apasionada 87. This show was based on the Nuevo Tango music of Astor Piazzolla . I am surprised this show has not been mentioned in anyone's good or bad list. It must have fallen through the cracks. It was classy, sexy and driving, with an ambitious and demanding brass book.  But it was certainly not a typical Phantom show. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, quietcity said:

Shout out to 2004: Apasionada 87. This show was based on the Nuevo Tango music of Astor Piazzolla . I am surprised this show has not been mentioned in anyone's good or bad list. It must have fallen through the cracks. It was classy, sexy and driving, with an ambitious and demanding brass book.  But it was certainly not a typical Phantom show. 

I didn't mention it but I've always loved listening to it, some great stuff in there.  

ok, this is hard for me, since Phantom is usually one of my favorites every year.

In order by year:

1987 - Songs from the Winter Palace

1989 - New World - just an amazing show

1993 - The Fire of Eternal Glory is probably my all time favorite piece of music from Phantom.

2010 - Into the Light - this show was the year after my dad passed away (also a Phantom Phan), and just moves me every time I listen.

My Least Favorite:

2015 - City of Light

I've been waiting for this for WEEKS!  It was really hard to narrow this down.

FAVORITES:

1. 2006 - Faust (for me, it had the best combination of good storyline, great music, excellent drill design that was really clean, great guard, & most of all...emotion!)
  2. 2008 - Spartacus (just a GE monster...the most energized I have ever seen a Finals crowd)
  3. 1996 - A Defiant Heart (minimalism at its finest...the opener is my all-time favorite)
  4. 1989 - From the New World...Into a New Age
  5. 1993 - The Modern Imagination
  6. 2005 - Rhapsody
  7. 1991 - Phantom Voices
  8. 2007 - On Air
  9. 2003 - Harmonic Journey
  10. 2011 - Juliet

Honorable Mentions:  2010 (Into the Light), 1994 (Songs for a Summer Night), 2012 (Turandot), 1990 (Dreams of Desire), & 1987 (Songs from the Winter Palace) just missed the top 10

LEAST FAVORITES (ie. the only Regiment shows I actually dislike):

1. 2014 - Swan Lake (I hated this show SOOOO much...Flames....Flames, on the side of my face...)
  2. 2017 - Phantasm (I really thought Wes Cartwright would be a great fit for Regiment....boy, was I wrong!)

Dishonorable Mention:  The witch puppet monstrosity from 2013 (I really liked the rest of the show, though)

• Like 3

2008 you had to be there

2006 could include their run from 2005-2008, dancing pentagram for the win

1996 what a horn line, music book

1982 maybe I do have a thing for gladiators

1979 Marching warm up and one of my favorite music books

HM 89, 91, 93, 94, 95, 03,05, 07

Least favorite

1986 devoid of color musically and visually, looked 10 years out of date

1999 already covered

2015, 2016 and 2017; intrigued me as it was different and when I  got the CD listened to them a bit until all the horn stick outs from the amps compelled me to buy Finlandia and I realized I like the source music so shelfed their version. I hope they can turn the trend around

1982  - Do I need to say the quote?

1987 - Great comeback, fun music

1988 - So....much....passion....  And a tremendous soli just before the last big hit

1989 - Because I was in it.  And we should have won

1993 - The crab step.  The Ginastera.

2008 - Do I need to say the quote?

Edited by troopers1

1 hour ago, troopers1 said:

1991 - The crab step.  The Ginastera.

This was 1993, during Death Hunt by Bernard Herrmann.