All time shows: Phantom Regiment

49 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

This was 1993, during Death Hunt by Bernard Herrmann.

Fixed!

1. 1993...another week and they would have presented a huge challenge to Cadets and Star

2. 1996....my dog has fleas!  Only complaint about this show was that third soprano hanging a release right before the final push!!

3. 1991...the is purest form of Phantom Regiment

4. 2008...the will power the performers had was awesome

5. 2010...how I wish they had stayed with Rosander

6. 1989...closer gives me chills every time.  ride cymbal just makes me cringe and I'm a brass guy

Honorable mentions...basically 2003-2007 + 1995....really loved this show but it gets no love since the top 4 was a blood bath and no behind them was even close.

least favorite

2009...design staff must have gone on a bender after 2008

1998....design was not even worthy of semi finals...performance level kept them in

1992...how did this manage to get sandwiched between 1991 & 1993.  Understand the concept but just never worked

anything post 2012...

Edited by Sideways
  • Like 1

Wow...

(Top 5 in no particular order except for the last one which is 5th)

1982 (Was in Montreal, they made me cry after Spartacus killed his friend)

2003 (The Bartok to the end- Shaw and and Front Ensemble arranger get Bartok. The drill, not fancy, but fits the music wonderfully, the drill with the percussion feature simple, sublime, but it FITS. Your eyes draw to the section they should draw to, the end when the full ensemble cuts loose, nicely framed... I can go on.)

1996 (Sheer force of will. Unstoppable.)

This one is the tough one- Not their "best show" perhaps, but one that's had a real influence on me in terms of discovering Astor Piazzola, for which I have to thank the corps for. 2004.

Honorable mentions:

2012, 1995, 1993, 2005, 2006 (Those last two shows knocked the socks off of the DCI East crowd that otherwise pretty much sat on their hands all night) 1979 (Have to mention Elsa) 1989, 1991.

The not so goods....

A mixed deal on 1980. Russian Easter Overture, cool... but Romany Life... Egads... We had a copy of a performance tape done about 2 weeks before finals of PR at Westshore, and even my 17 year old ears heard a lot of... eesh! Oh gads...that Battery, GAH! Oh, oh goodness, very bad... I think they cleaned most of it up by Championship weekend, but.... If people wonder why Phantom couldn't seal the deal against BD in that period, one word. Percussion.

And this one might be controversial, but I just never locked into 2007 with the exception of the last 90 seconds.... the program felt like Phantom trying to be someone else.

1996 - Passion and power defined...they were "searing" (.02 to Cesario)

1989 - The wedge! A great show...loses steam a bit in the middle, but the open and close...just WOW!

2003 - Classical and modern music meshed perfectly, and one of the loudest Bb lines ever!

1993 - great ballad and visual ideas

2008 - pulled in the audience like no other

HM - 1991, 92, 95, 2002

Edited by MJVMusic

Lots of good years for sure.  For me, classic Phantom Regiment was the benchmark (along with Madison Scouts) on how to entertain with excellence. 

My personal favorites:

1. 2008 (easily one of my top 5 or 6 all-time great shows)

2. 1989

3. 1996

4. 2005 - love this show with the umbrellas

5. 1993

6. 2003

7. 2006

8. 2012

9. 1984

10. 1979

Everyone except 2009, and the last 3 shows.

One of my favorite corps.