All time shows: Phantom Regiment

On 3/14/2018 at 1:58 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Judges, are you watching?

Just to be clear: 1. 1989.

2. 2008.

3. 1996.

4. 1993.

5. I can't decide. Too many appealing choices. One that not many people are mentioning that I'm fond of is the Ring show from 1997.

As for least favorites, pretty much 2013-2017.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

5. I can't decide. Too many appealing choices. One that not many people are mentioning that I'm fond of is the Ring show from 1997.

The only thing I really didn't like about The Ring was that they decided to go with a starkly minimal visual package.  No color, no "big-ness" to it.  If anything has ever called for over the top, expansive moves, color and emotion, it's Wagner, you know?  The brass were spectacular, though!

Mike

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MikeN said:

The only thing I really didn't like about The Ring was that they decided to go with a starkly minimal visual package.  No color, no "big-ness" to it.  If anything has ever called for over the top, expansive moves, color and emotion, it's Wagner, you know?  The brass were spectacular, though!

Mike

Currently reading a lot about Wagner in one of my graduate music history courses.   You’re right.  lol

2 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Currently reading a lot about Wagner in one of my graduate music history courses.   You’re right.  lol

It probably takes longer to listen / watch the Ring cycle than it does to study up on Wagner. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you so much for everyone that has participated in all of these threads. 

Last but not least. The results for Phantom Regiment.

1. 1996 A Defiant Heart

2. 1989 From the New World Into a New Age

3. 2008 Spartacus

4. 1993 The Modern Imagination

5. TIE 2003 Harmonic Journey and 2006 Faust

HMs for 1991, 2007, 2010, 1982, 1979

Least favorite

2017 Phantasm

• Like 2

I'm quite happy with those results...

• Like 3

Top 5:

2008: The hornline.  The battery.  The random, indiscriminate killing.  Phantom's first stand-alone title.  Enough said.  

1996: That power chord at the end of the second movement seals the deal.  Musically, this was hands down the best show of the year.  

2010: Paul Rennick's swan song doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves.  That's one of the best openers that Phantom has ever put on the field.  Unquestionably, "Into the Light" was the most beautiful thing on the field in 2010.

1993: An innovative show in a year that is known for innovative shows.  I keep waiting for somebody to put the pit back on the field.  And this was the year that Phantom figured out how to have its sopranos wail, but with grace.  

2006: One can only wonder what might have been had Cavies' Machine not been standing in their way.  With the corps winning their first-even percussion title in '06, this was the year that everything really start to jell for Phantom ahead of 2008.

HM: 

2003: After so many years in the wilderness after their first-place tie in '96, this was the year Phantom rediscovered their mojo.  And this was the show that made me a believer in B-flat in DCI.  

1989: The only reason that this didn't land in my top 5 was the ballad.  When will Phantom learn that Phantom doesn't do jazz?  (And don't bring up '91 or '09 - I didn't think it worked then, either.)

Least favorite:

-'09 - Like I said, Phantom doesn't do jazz.  

-'17 - If I heard "Phantasm!" out of the pit one more time, I thought I was going to lose my mind.

'95 - An off year for the organization, particularly the horn line. 

Edited by Rusty