All time shows: Phantom Regiment

No matter what I write, I’ll probably change my mind.

1979: they were robbed. On my first trip to a record store after watching finals on PBS, I purchased Saint Sean Organ Symphony and a LP of Wagner overtures. 

1989: I agree with the poster who said any other year this would have been first rather than runner up. 

1987: they had an amazing show that year and used some interesting pieces from Tchaikovsky. 

1980: a great variety of classical music and 5th must have been disappointing but that was the year Spirit and 27th had their greatest shows, Blue Devils were on top of their game, and Bridgemen has their highest placement. It’s easy for this show to be forgotten. 

2012: Turandot. I’m an opera fan, what can I say.

Disappointments

2017: some great musical moments but the show theme made me very uncomfortable. 

2006: Faust. If you’re going to explore the Faust legend, how can you not include Gounod, Berlioz, or for something different Boito? I said earlier I’m an opera fan.

1997: The Ring. It could be argued this is the most musically ambitious show ever arranged, and it is difficult to shrink 18 hours of music into 10-12 minutes, but pieces that tell the story were omitted and I’m not sure the story was told. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

1980: a great variety of classical music and 5th must have been disappointing but that was the year Spirit and 27th had their greatest shows, Blue Devils were on top of their game, and Bridgemen has their highest placement. It’s easy for this show to be forgotten. 

Wow... nice to see some love for that 1980 show!!! One of my all-time PR favorites. Great French horn line that year.

And their Finals run was one of the cleanest marching performances ever in the tick-system era.  Absolutely stellar execution that night.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 9:47 PM, WaxDCIFan said:

For what it’s worth I think Phantom “borrowed” that show design from my high school (Metamora High School).  We played an original New World Symphony score at the Illinois State Marching band championships in 1987.  A lot of the same music Phantom put on the field in 1989...

Thats my story and I’m sticking to it anyway.

I’m not questioning your story, but Phantom did use the 2nd and 4th movements with a hint of the 1st in 1977. Now if the solo in the second movement or the Slavonic Dances drum solo were part of your show, then there’s no question.