Upstate NY Circuits

I started corps in 1970 and remember attending competitions that were Penn-York or NY-Penn. I also recall a few Ontario corps would come down to compete as well as Cleveland Buckeyes one year (I think 1972). Seneca Princemen, Opti-Knights, Opti-Lancers, Flying Dutchmen, Durham Girls, Krescendos, St. Johns Girls all came down . From PA.....Cambria Cadets, 84th Bucktail Regiment, Silver Sabres and Derry Patriots would make it up. Besides Buckeyes, a new corps from Canton came over....called the Bluecoats! My corps, The Royal Coachmen surprised everyone in 1970 by making finals at Penn-York Championships. I wasn't there then but somewhere down the road I did compete at a Penn-York Championship in 1974 or 1975. I remember it was at a field that was not very memorable to me and I think Black Knights (Oswego) went on after or before us.

I also remember for the Senior corps there was the Red Carpet Association and 2 corps down the road from us (Suburban Knights and Hamburg Kingsmen) were members.

So many corps back then and today? Nothing (well White Sabres in DCA and thank God they are still there and doing a fantastic job!!!!).

The area the Cambria Cadets are out of barely had the resources to have a corps even back then... and while there were some very good HS bands out of that area in the 80's and 90's, they fell by the wayside as their administrations pretty much strangled them out of competing and the area became more and more depressed financially.

I know they had talent and some pretty good people.

I think I saw them at a show in Johnsonburg, PA in 1973. Place was smelly too but remember seeing, I think, Royaleer Mounties (All Girl), Purple Lancers, Vestal Grenadiers at that show.

Cambria had a real cool street beat to get on the field too!

The RCA was just before my time-- basically a circuit where non-DCA members could compete and get input. The Westshoremen were heavily involved until they cracked finals, and I know the Thunderbirds were also very active. My guess is that the Guelph Royalaires were also active occasionally as well as Hamburg.

Later on ICA formed to do much the same thing that the RCA did for all-age corps, then went away when it was no longer really needed.

• 2 weeks later...

RCA had (I believe).....Hamburg Kingsmen, Dunkirk Patriots, Suburban Knights, and others. Was Hanover Lancers in there too?

6 hours ago, KeithHall said:

RCA had (I believe).....Hamburg Kingsmen, Dunkirk Patriots, Suburban Knights, and others. Was Hanover Lancers in there too?

Possibly the Lancers, Emmaus Sentinels, Johnsonburg Diplomats, and Wind Gap Blue Eagles from PA, but I just don't know for certain. Jim Fawber would have a better handle on some of this since he was part of Westshore in their RCA involvement.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Possibly the Lancers, Emmaus Sentinels, Johnsonburg Diplomats, and Wind Gap Blue Eagles from PA, but I just don't know for certain. Jim Fawber would have a better handle on some of this since he was part of Westshore in their RCA involvement.

I think at least a few of those corps were in RCA... but you're right, Jim would have the definitive answer.

I remember seeing the Sentinels doing an exhibition at an Eastern States show my junior corps was at, 1974 I believe it was. Their drum line was pretty impressive. 

The Freestatesmen from western MD also were in RCA during their years in the 1970s.

I know I've mentioned this before in other threads.... but the Southern Tier Grenadiers from the Endicott, NY,  area were the real deal for a time there during the 1970s.

To date, one of the best drum corps horn lines, on a player-for-player basis, I've ever heard. Not big in size... mid-20s to maybe 30 horns, depending on the year.. .but those guys could flat-out bring it.  And they were tackling some pretty high-rent charts for a local-circuit corps.  Mouret's "Rondeau" (the theme from Masterpiece Theatre).... "Capriccio Espagnol"... music from the musical 1776... among other tunes. Great stuff.

• Thanks 1