Summer Music Games Cincinnati

27 minutes ago, Thatoneguy285 said:

There’s a lot of parking at Mason. The campus is HUGE. At Hamilton we had to park at all those nearby grocery stores and restaurants but Mason will easily accommodate everything with their high school parking lot. Plus the middle school is right next to them with more parking and the intermediate school is across the street which is also enormous. I’m excited because I live close to 5 minutes to the high school so I could walk if I wanted to! 

We got our replacement tickets today.  Generally the same area as Hamilton.  A row further up...

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Mason?   To my knowledge, this is the first show at Mason.   It’s been at Fairfield and Hamilton. 

Interesting. Remembering that Hamilton and Fairfield are also pretty big schools (for Ohio), I decided to look up exactly were Ohio's largest among the states 800+ high schools. Using the state athletic association figures, which admittedly only include grades 9-11, this is what I found. Curiously, seven of the top ten, which I note below with an asterisk, are located in southwest Ohio. All seven are in Cincinnati or Dayton exurbs, which I find interesting because Cincinnati is only the state's third-largest city (100K behind number two and almost 500K behind number one), and Dayton is only the sixth-largest city:

Mason -- 2,661*

Fairfield -- 2,369*

Lakota East -- 2,087*

Centerville -- 2,030*

Hamilton -- 1,397*

Beavercreek -- 1,893*

Canton McKinley -- 1,890

Lakota West -- 1,864*

Gahanna Lincoln -- 1,847

Brunswick -- 1,837

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Thanks!  I’ve never been to Centerville.  

I agree with  @N.E. Brigand, Centerville is not bad ... I have been to much worse (*cough cough* Port Huron). Though I also agree with @garfield ... Dublin is a great venue. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No, he's referring to Centerville. He and I were both there at the same show a couple years ago. I've been there a few times, a don't think it's as bad as all that.

Yes, this is correct.  

And N.E. is among the very few who can attest to the comfort of sitting on one butt-cheek with your legs turned to the side, or the lovely people-watching when you're number 25 in the MEN'S bathroom line (you can imagine the ladies'), or well-executed usher plan that ended with all fans passing one another on the bottom row to exit in different portals than the one closest to them.  And I really appreciated being in that crowd when, having left early to beat this madness (missing one corps), I missed another corps trying to get back in to eat my hot dog in my seat.

It's a tall stadium.  It has few exits. 

I think we paid something like $27 for that "experience".

(Psst:  N.E. Your rear has callouses on it from your uber-fandom.  I tip my hat as always that you let the shows on the field impact you more than the cramps in your tush.)

We'll politely disagree, but I'll never go back to that stadium.  (I'll just text you for the play by play.)

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Yes, this is correct.  

And N.E. is among the very few who can attest to the comfort of sitting on one butt-cheek with your legs turned to the side, or the lovely people-watching when you're number 25 in the MEN'S bathroom line (you can imagine the ladies'), or well-executed usher plan that ended with all fans passing one another on the bottom row to exit in different portals than the one closest to them.  And I really appreciated being in that crowd when, having left early to beat this madness (missing one corps), I missed another corps trying to get back in to eat my hot dog in my seat.

It's a tall stadium.  It has few exits. 

I think we paid something like $27 for that "experience".

(Psst:  N.E. Your rear has callouses on it from your uber-fandom.  I tip my hat as always that you let the shows on the field impact you more than the cramps in your tush.)

We'll politely disagree, but I'll never go back to that stadium.  (I'll just text you for the play by play.)

Sounds lovely.  The Indianapolis season opener in 2014 was this bad.  It wasn’t held at LOS but at a high school west of the city.  A very unpleasant experience. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

10 hours ago, garfield said:

And N.E. is among the very few who can attest to the comfort of sitting on one butt-cheek with your legs turned to the side, or the lovely people-watching when you're number 25 in the MEN'S bathroom line (you can imagine the ladies'), or well-executed usher plan that ended with all fans passing one another on the bottom row to exit in different portals than the one closest to them.  And I really appreciated being in that crowd when, having left early to beat this madness (missing one corps), I missed another corps trying to get back in to eat my hot dog in my seat. It's a tall stadium.  It has few exits. I think we paid something like $27 for that "experience".

You know, I have no recollection of these details, but it is indeed quite possible that I have grown insensitive to such failings!

Maybe the most cramped I've been at a stadium was at a high school band competition at Norton (near Akron) a few years ago. The seating seemed designed for munchkins; I swear my knees were nearly touching my chin. But the facility was replaced a year or two later, I believe.

10 hours ago, garfield said:

Yes, this is correct. 

Overall, I enjoyed the Centerville show last year. I believe @N.E. Brigand and I introduced ourselves to each other there (?) You're right about the seats. And I had a 3-hour drive home afterward. (At night with aging eyes!) But I still enjoyed the show. 

Edited by mjoakes

2 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Overall, I enjoyed the Centerville show last year. I believe @N.E. Brigand and I introduced ourselves to each other there (?)

Yes, I was sitting with my older sister and her younger son. They live in Bellbrook, which is one town over.