The Commandant's Own...now with electronics!

2 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Yeah...they have REALLY stepped up their game recently.

Makes one wonder how they'd do at DCA, even witho0ut a guard.

A fair question. Since the new director came in and breathed what I saw was some fresh air into the program, the brass is delightful. They're like a lovely Swiss watch that you can see all the little pieces interact perfectly. The drill is definitely still carefully done to maintain that military decor and feel, but there's a lot more velocity and movement in more modern ways, and the small front ensemble adds a nice amount of spice that's real quality.

The problem would be the top box in visual, Sam. It'd be bottom number over top big time. No color guard. The DCA Color guard judge gives out the minimum number, which my guess is a 50.

I'm of the thought that they do what they do to a different standard, ethic, and aesthetic to a certain and legit degree with the field shows they do for the Drum Corps and Band fans. The 8th and I show is totally all about the military pageantry, Semper Fi, Marine tradition embodied. The shows we see, a mix of that and also trying to show that they're hip to what's going on out there in the activity for outreach to the general public and recruiting purposes.

My personal thoughts on this...The post 2001 shows till the new director were focused mainly on telling the story and message that the Marines are out there fighting for all of us to keep us safe and working as hard as they can to represent what's good about us. They were really weighty and serious. I get it, it's understandable. I liked those shows a lot. They left me very proud of the Marines, their traditions, a and their service and proud to be an American. I think though, so much weight for so long... the new directions they're taking with their shows may be a good thing. They still do the old school things at the end to remind everyone who and what they are.

Hope I don't sound too silly. For the record, I never joined the military, I'm too much of a goofball and misfit, but I respect those who have joined immensely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/21/2018 at 12:19 AM, Rusty said:

The U.S. Marine Drum & Bugle Corps performed tonight at a Houston-area high school.  I couldn't attend due to a prior commitment, but my wife was kind enough to cue up a video on the school district's website at http://www.ccisd.net/.  (I'd link directly to the vid, but I can't find it - right now it appears to be on the front page of the site.  Skip to the -46:00 mark to see them feeding onto the field.) 

Not sure what the rep is for the show, but it looks decent and sounds great.  At one point, I realized just how wonderful it was to hear a good horn line really cranking on G bugles.  

And then I noticed some weird sound effects.  Then strings.  Yep: they have a synth in the pit, with amps at the 35 on side one and the 40 on side two.  

Basically, it's Hop's world.  We just live in it.

So what? Can we beat this dead horse anymore. 

• Like 1