The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

7 minutes ago, Scerpella said:

The sexual revolution in drum corps was like pouring gasoline on flames, (not that it apparently needed it if you know stories from folks in the activity 70's and  prior) and I would argue that in the activity as in most of society as a whole, young vulnerable women were the ones hurt most often. Society told us meaningless hookups were ok and harmless.  They weren't. And staffs were often simply aged out members who saw the current members as fair game, not for a moment considering the power differential that existed, however small and informal it might have been.  Guys like Hopkins, acted with impunity for years.  And now the chickens have truly come home to roost.

Young men/boys as well.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

There was a very well done research paper back in 1993 that describes why senior executives do things like this during otherwise brilliant careers.  The military picked up on it and it has been helpful in creating oversight mechanisms to detect / prevent unethical leadership behaviors.  The paper is basically a call to action for oversight boards to actively monitor the behavior of their executives.  For the mods - this is open-source now.  Interesting read:

Ludwig+Longenecker,%20The%20Bathsheba%20

I could not get a link from your post. Creating a new one to the source document here.

http://ksuweb.kennesaw.edu/~uzimmerm/Notes/Ludwig+Longenecker, The Bathsheba Syndrome.pdf

• Thanks 1

:sad:

Edited by boxingfred
I thought sad face was enough

55 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

So the show title and theme will be getting changed, yes?

I also could not help but think of that irony in this season's chosen theme, chaddyt.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I also could not help but think of that irony in this season's chosen theme, chaddyt.

Interestingly, the title was chosen AFTER these allegations were made.  (But before the allegations really became public.)  No matter what happens, that title was just not a very good idea.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Much of the "moral outrage" was in response to the cult-like alumni supporting their unwavering support for the guy in charge. They brought it on themselves. Michigan State doesn't have that problem. Their alumni are as upset as anyone. That's just one of the many reasons the comparison of YEA to college sports is an absurd one.

In this case there are many older alumni who would love to take down Hopkins for various reasons  and wouldn't care what the subject was.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, chaddyt said:

So the show title and theme will be getting changed, yes?

And about that…

There has been chatter about this story for months, hearing about the theme.  Not good. Salting the wounds. I hope it doesn’t foretell how Cadets are going to approach this, they already blew it by not getting in front of it. Hoppy needs to be gone

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

In this case there are many older alumni who would love to take down Hopkins for various reasons  and wouldn't care what the subject was.

That " many " number  also speaks volumes about the internal strife WITHIN the organization, more so than just external " spite ", that clearly was also there regarding the long time controversial YEA Executive Director.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Perhaps, but that shouldn't dismiss the allegations. Don't be so presumptuous to believe this is isolated to one person or one organization.