The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

11 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

After reading it, that was my concern as well is that this coming forward has an alterior motive to use this. If so, that small group of alums should be ashamed to exploit their stories for this purpose. It is one thing to use this as a way to help prevent future behavior. It is another thing to do this just for spite if you don’t like the direction of the corps.

? It seems as if you're assuming the "concerned about his leadership" part is about not liking their show design, and not about the fact that a man with a reasonably well-known (in the activity) penchant for acting inappropriately around young people was being left in charge by a Board who seemed to be either completely oblivious,  or worse, actively enabling his behavior.

Regrettably for all, the organization will require a thorough house-cleaning of leadership in order to pull the pieces back together. What parent, having done any research, would sign off on allowing their child to get involved with YEA at this point?

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

After reading it, that was my concern as well is that this coming forward has an alterior motive to use this. If so, that small group of alums should be ashamed to exploit their stories for this purpose. It is one thing to use this as a way to help prevent future behavior. It is another thing to do this just for spite if you don’t like the direction of the corps.

Don't get this at all, unless you're saying people who knew weren't really concerned about sexual abuse and rape but waited to act until the Cadets were not competing well.

Just now, gbass598 said:

So hard to tell in these cases yet clear for some. This question doesn't have anything to do with the victims but others who may have been searching. Just for the record, this is not by far the only corps with those behind the scenes.  There are many great alumni out there but also those well known in the activity that would destroy just because. Is this the case here? Who knows BUT I believe there could be..easily. Now again this does not say these accusations aren't factual or serious. The conversation we are having is a little different than taking about acts or victims or predators. 

2 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Don't get this at all, unless you're saying people who knew weren't really concerned about sexual abuse and rape but waited to act until the Cadets were not competing well.

Don't think he/ she, meant that at all. 

1 minute ago, Slingerland said:

? It seems as if you're assuming the "concerned about his leadership" part is about not liking their show design, and now about the fact that a man with a reasonably well-known (in the activity) penchant for acting inappropriately around young people was being left in charge by a Board who seemed to be either completely oblivious,  or worse, actively enabling his behavior.

It’s a very broad statement made and can be taken many ways. I just find it hard to believe that people are just now concerned about it. Were they just as concerned when the corps was on top every year? 

The behavior is inappropriate in any circumstance but this has also come forward at a time where the corps is at a competitive low they haven’t seen in many, many years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

This news story is airtight. Sources are named; several of their accounts are corroborated by witnesses; the nine accounts span a long range of time and share similar characteristics. The reporting is ironclad and the writing is cool, clinical. It is rock-solid journalism.

You're right. It is unusually good reporting. I'm always prepared for holes in a story to be revealed later, but still glad to see this quality of journalism still exists.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

I did not claim to know anyone’s motives. We all know he is a polarizing individual. Love him or hate him. I’m indifferent because I don’t know the man personally and I see these all being plausible stories that should have all been dealt with accordingly. People on this forum have probably joked or read online reviews of how terrible of a work place the YEA office is. I just find the timing curious and coincidental.

5 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

I did not claim to know anyone’s motives. We all know he is a polarizing individual. Love him or hate him. I’m indifferent because I don’t know the man personally and I see these all being plausible stories that should have all been dealt with accordingly. People on this forum have probably joked or read online reviews of how terrible of a work place the YEA office is. I just find the timing curious and coincidental.

well let's be honest. Since the Weinstein stuff broke in the fall, the issue has been exploding everywhere. Starting in January isn't really that suspicious

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

well let's be honest. Since the Weinstein stuff broke in the fall, the issue has been exploding everywhere. Starting in January isn't really that suspicious

And that is a fair enough point to make.

As far as timing goes, it's likely that the #metoo movement sparked a little courage in a few of these women. Then, as the word was getting out that people were ready to talk, someone probably bridged them together, like a mutual friend or acquaintance that knew of or had heard something may have happened. A lawyer was hired, who then likely found ways to identify other potential victims and reached out. This culminated in lodging a complaint to the YEA board, and the lack of satisfactory response probably led to bringing in the reporter. There is no motive regarding the timing, the spark was kindled months ago for all.

• Thanks 1