The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

You can’t be serious.  You believe these woman want to be splashed all over the paper just because they didn’t like backflip Jesus?  

No, you are twisting my words. The article says that this issue and these women were brought to the attention of the board by a small group of alumni who were concerned about his leadership. My concern is that the people who facilitated this could potentially have other motives to exploit these for other means. I’m not saying they did or that they are but the statement doesn’t eliminate that possibility. There seems to be a 3rd party that facilitated this as it appears those who were directly impacted by this behavior we’re not the ones who initiated the reports.

I quote directly from the article:

”The women had agreed to share their accounts after being contacted by a group of alums of the organization who had concerns about Hopkins' leadership.”

5 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

From the article:

The board of directors for Youth Education in the Arts was made aware of several of the women’s stories in January. The women had agreed to share their accounts after being contacted by a group of alums of the organization who had concerns about Hopkins' leadership.

...is a very carefully worded sentence that could indicate that these stories were not the first that the board heard about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm reeling, as are all Cadet alums and probably everyone else in the drum corps community...

If you follow the Cadets threads you know I am quite critical. I was going to post this a while back but didn't; these accusations put it in a new light.

GH's whole "philosophy" of "choose your attitude," etc. is emotional manipulation, to deflect blame away from leadership. All his self-aggrandizing and etc... it's all part of a web of emotional manipulation and making critics question themselves. His interactions with staff, members, parents etc. always had this strange manipulative character.

Anyway...some of these happened when I was a member (2006). It certainly makes you look back at the experience--which I have very mixed feelings about--in a different light.

Hopkins is DONE

Cadets are DONE

YEA is DONE

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MelloMatt said:

I really do wonder what this means for DCI as a whole. I've definitely heard my fair share about people in high places that aren't Hop doing things of this nature, and am wondering what this does to those organizations and am wondering how they deal with what potentially may be coming their way. There is definitely a need to get out ahead of further allegations coming from around the activity that in all likelihood will come, and come soon.

I think what is particularly bothersome is that YEA has been the forefront for the Youth AND Education in the Arts . Practically pushing it down the throats of the activity (at times) so to speak.  

THIS ^^^^^ could be one of the biggest backlashes in the activity from all of this if the allegations turn out to be true and there were people at YEA and THE Cadets organizations that either knew or should have known what was going on.  

1 minute ago, garfield said:

...is a very carefully worded sentence that could indicate that these stories were not the first that the board heard about.

And that is quite possible too.

i personally find it hard to believe that this has gone on for 30 plus years and be a shock to anyone involved with the corps for any length of time if this is true. I have no affiliations so I have no answers.

1 minute ago, FTNK said:

Hopkins is DONE

Cadets are DONE

YEA is DONE

I'd agree that Hopkins is done.

YEA will certainly be done if they don't dump Hopkins.

The Cadets will be done if

1. YEA is done
  2. YEA drags them down with them rather than allowing them to spin off into their own organization.

The situation for the corps is precarious, but not necessarily terminal. Strong and fast action YEA could limit the fallout

6 minutes ago, FTNK said:

GH's whole "philosophy" of "choose your attitude," etc. is emotional manipulation, to deflect blame away from leadership. All his self-aggrandizing and etc... it's all part of a web of emotional manipulation and making critics question themselves. His interactions with staff, members, parents etc. always had this strange manipulative character.

Wow. Thoughtful. Mind-blowing to me. Thanks for sharing this.

4 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

The situation for the corps is precarious, but not necessarily terminal. Strong and fast action YEA could limit the fallout

The clock started ticking on that months ago, when their Board became aware that this situation was going to be a matter of public record in the near future. The fact that they took none of the steps that should have been taken while charges like this are being investigated by outside counsel doesn't speak well of the Board's capacity for governance. This situation isn't new, and there are established principles for how good companies deal with allegations like this against senior leadership. None of those principles appear to have been followed. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, FTNK said:

I'm reeling, as are all Cadet alums and probably everyone else in the drum corps community...

If you follow the Cadets threads you know I am quite critical. I was going to post this a while back but didn't; these accusations put it in a new light.

Anyway...some of these happened when I was a member (2006). It certainly makes you look back at the experience--which I have very mixed feelings about--in a different light.

Hopkins is DONE

Cadets are DONE

YEA is DONE

I won'g go so far as to say Cadets are done or YEA are done. Hopkins no doubt is done with the Cadets and YEA IMHO. No way can the organization let him stay on.

YEA and The Cadets have to get out on front of this and be aggressive. Start with firing Hopkins and appointing a independent counsel to investigate everyone top to bottom within the organization and let the chips fall where they may. Gaining the parents and public trust in the organization starting NOW will depend on the long term survival of the organization. Its going to take some short term hits. If the investigation finds that the allegations are unfounded and or that No one at YEA or The Cadets were aware of the allegations then as they say..the show can go on. 

• Like 2

Personally I think Cadets2 will suffer first and foremost at this. I will be surprised if they are even able to field this summer. Staff Issues and recruiting will be the issue here. The Cadets can probably weather the storm till this sorts itself out.