The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

*If these allegations are true* This is just horrifying. That this could happen for so long and nothing, no one  report or stop this monster.

This is up there with Larry Nasser 

This is up there with the scandal at Penn State

If these accusations are verified and proven, DCI is going to need to completely erase any reference to GH in all DCI Hall of Fame, in the awards, in everything.

I don't know how Cadets survive this.

• Like 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I think they’re actually buddies.  ;-)

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes this thread to surpass the usual Cadets thread that grows at lightspeed every year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cainan said:

I think very high.. In fact, I think there is a good chance that The Cadets do not weather this storm at all for 2018.. and possibly forever.

I am an absolute believer in due process. Nobody is guilty of a crime unless they admit their crime, or are found guilty by a jury of their peers. If this ends up there (which I will be highly surprised if it does not), then whatever the outcome is.. so be it. 

That said, the court of public opinion is not so lenient.

If I am a parent with a kid in this corps right now.. with this current corps leadership.. and I am talking from the YEA board all the way down the chain.. there is NO WAY in a million years I let MY kid anywhere NEAR this corps. I think they will pretty quickish lose any and all members under the age of 18. If my kid is over 18, and I am funding their drum corps career... and let's face it, a LOT of mm's use the trusty old First National Bank of Mom and Dad... again, I wouldn't let my kids near this corps. If I am an advertiser, I want NOTHING to do with YEA, The Cadets or USSBA. If I am a sponsor with a worldwide brand recognition, say.. I dunno... YAMAHA... again, I want nothing to do with this corps. Once this corps loses sponsors.. it's game over.

If I had a child at The Cadets I would really have to look at alot of factors. 1. My Child's attitude towards the organization and the overall vibe after this came out. 2. The way the organization is handling the crisis. 3. Assurances that steps were in the right direction to see that my child's interest were being protected. 

Lets face it. This could have happened anywhere. Not just at drum corps. Kids can get exposed to this anywhere. Ive seen no less than 6 local band directors/ assistant band directors brought up on child rape charges in the last 10 years. So that one time at band camp??? Yeah it could happen anywhere. 

4 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

To be fair, the postings are coming fast enough to lose track.

i started reading around 3 hours ago and still can't keep up...haha

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cainan said:

I think very high.. In fact, I think there is a good chance that The Cadets do not weather this storm at all for 2018.. and possibly forever.

I am an absolute believer in due process. Nobody is guilty of a crime unless they admit their crime, or are found guilty by a jury of their peers. If this ends up there (which I will be highly surprised if it does not), then whatever the outcome is.. so be it. 

That said, the court of public opinion is not so lenient.

If I am a parent with a kid in this corps right now.. with this current corps leadership.. and I am talking from the YEA board all the way down the chain.. there is NO WAY in a million years I let MY kid anywhere NEAR this corps. I think they will pretty quickish lose any and all members under the age of 18. If my kid is over 18, and I am funding their drum corps career... and let's face it, a LOT of mm's use the trusty old First National Bank of Mom and Dad... again, I wouldn't let my kids near this corps. If I am an advertiser, I want NOTHING to do with YEA, The Cadets or USSBA. If I am a sponsor with a worldwide brand recognition, say.. I dunno... YAMAHA... again, I want nothing to do with this corps. Once this corps loses sponsors.. it's game over.

This is heartbreaking to read.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

This is heartbreaking to read.

Absolutely it is.

This could massively damage and even kill the cadets. I hope they survive it, with needed changes. Much good has come out of the organization, like all drum corps and it would just be piling on one bad thing after another if it went away.

Blame Hop, and blame the board that has enabled him. 

• Thanks 1

Two thoughts that are running through my head. 

1) Will DCI make a decision regarding The Cadets before season starts? (Doubtful) 

2) Will the Fan response be negative with them if they field this year?

I believe that no one is guilty unless evidence is proven and produced. However, these are major allegations and if the paper has more accusations and is releasing those on Sunday, then DCI might have to work faster than they anticipated 

I don’t want the Cadets to go away, however a change in leadership might be needed sooner rather than later. 

Edited by ohwiseone