The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

10 minutes ago, camel lips said:

If I had a child at The Cadets I would really have to look at alot of factors. 1. My Child's attitude towards the organization and the overall vibe after this came out. 2. The way the organization is handling the crisis. 3. Assurances that steps were in the right direction to see that my child's interest were being protected. 

Lets face it. This could have happened anywhere. Not just at drum corps. Kids can get exposed to this anywhere. Ive seen no less than 6 local band directors/ assistant band directors brought up on child rape charges in the last 10 years. So that one time at band camp??? Yeah it could happen anywhere. 

Fair comment...

I’m so inspired by the courage shown by the victims to tell their stories.

• Like 8

Sorry to harp on this, but the silence from Allentown is deafening to me.

Three.  ****ing.  Months.

Regardless of how valid they perceive these allegations to be, the BoD had three months to ready a response.  I simply cannot fathom that the legal advice was "Let's just wait and see what the reaction is" in this day and age.  You need not have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night to know that simply trying to wait this out was NOT the right strategy.

They're not defending the report.  They're not refuting the report.

No suspension.  No "put on paid leave".

Nothing.

Pure incompetence.

Edited by chaddyt
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, ohwiseone said:

Two thoughts that are running through my head. 

1) Will DCI make a decision regarding The Cadets before season starts? (Doubtful) 

2) Will the Fan response be negative with them if they field this year. 

I believe that no one is guilty unless evidence is proven and produced. However, these are major allegations and if the paper has more accusations and is releasing those on Sunday, then DCI might have to work faster than they anticipated 

The corps are all their own independent organizations what can DCI do except remove the corps as a member if they don’t hold up their end of the mission statement?

DCI isn’t responsible for this. YEA is responsible for this.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, tedrick said:

*If these allegations are true* This is just horrifying. That this could happen for so long and nothing, no one  report or stop this monster.

This is up there with Larry Nasser 

This is up there with the scandal at Penn State

If these accusations are verified and proven, DCI is going to need to completely erase any reference to GH in all DCI Hall of Fame, in the awards, in everything.

I don't know how Cadets survive this.

All due respect, these allegations are not even remotely close to Nassar or Penn State.  Those involved children, in unsupervised situations.   The majority of these allegations were in a workplace, involving one adult sexually harassing another adult.  Yes it is bad.  No, it is not the same thing.  

4 minutes ago, ohwiseone said:

Two thoughts that are running through my head. 

1) Will DCI make a decision regarding The Cadets before season starts? (Doubtful) 

2) Will the Fan response be negative with them if they field this year. 

I believe that no one is guilty unless evidence is proven and produced. However, these are major allegations and if the paper has more accusations and is releasing those on Sunday, then DCI might have to work faster than they anticipated 

I don’t want the Cadets to go away, however I will be all for a change in leadership. 

I'm wondering if there might be a wholesale name change to the org as a means of completely cutting away from the issue once all is said and done.

No matter how it settles out, no matter if Hop and the entire BoD and instructional staff leave, even with everything gone but thee equipment and a new group of leaders top to bottom, the name of the Cadets is tainted...possibly beyond repair.

A new BoD, director, staff, etc, might choose to rename the org to get a fresh start.   Might be easier than trying to rehab the name.

1 minute ago, gbass598 said:

The corps are all their own independent organizations what can DCI do except remove the corps as a member if they don’t hold up their end of the mission statement?

Refuse to allow them to attend shows comes to mind, as does not paying them their appearance fees if the DO perform.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ohwiseone said:

I don’t want the Cadets to go away, however I will be all for a change in leadership. 

That is the struggle DCI, and everyone involved, is having: it is going to take very careful surgery to remove GH from The Cadets (and DCI), without damaging either organization.  No one will think less of the MMs, no matter what happens.  Everyone needs to be supportive of the members.  This cannot be easy for them.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

I'm wondering if there might be a wholesale name change to the org as a means of completely cutting away from the issue once all is said and done.

No matter how it settles out, no matter if Hop and the entire BoD and instructional staff leave, even with everything gone but thee equipment and a new group of leaders top to bottom, the name of the Cadets is tainted...possibly beyond repair.

A new BoD, director, staff, etc, might choose to rename the org to get a fresh start.   Might be easier than trying to rehab the name.

Garfield

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

the name of the Cadets is tainted...possibly beyond repair.

This is silly. George Hopkins is one man, he is not The Cadets. The Cadets were here long before him and with some luck they will be here long after him.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1