The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

48 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Another thought that I've had all day... Is anybody else a little surprised that the Philadelphia Inquirer would run a story about a drum corps director in Allentown, PA? I can hear readers now: "drum corps? what is that? what do you mean he's a god? drum corps is your religion?" (and some of the comments at the bottom of the story reflect this)

It's a terrible story, and (if true) the guy deserves to be shamed in every venue. And women who experience this sort of thing should have a means to tell their story.

I'm not trying to diminish the magnitude of the story, but I would think the Cadets would be a small organization for such a large newspaper to profile so extensively. 

Every criminal like this is being outed now. It looks to me like someone associated with Cadets at some point went to reporters. Perhaps it was only the Enquirer that had the resources to actually report the story out. So no, not at all surprised that a Philly paper did this excellent reporting.

3 minutes ago, MikeM said:

YEA's site still has that individual listed.  Till he's off that list, I'm skeptical.

He’s gone. Heard from someone just a bit ago 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Wow. Just seeing this thread and the article now. You and a few others here have been hinting for months that news like this was forthcoming--and taking some knocks for it. Very sorry, but not surprised given your history of being right, to find that you were right once more.

What a shame.

It’s al good. I know many involved and it’s their story

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, madscout96 said:

It takes huge news like this to get me to post on here again.

So DCI has released a statement, but their site has crashed because of it.  Has anyone seen it?  What does it say?  Can you paste it in here?

"Based on recent reporting, Drum Corps International has been made aware of claims made by former performers and employees of a participating organization against the director of that organization.

"DCI is deeply concerned about these accusations and anyone who may have been subjected to or affected by behavior which is not in keeping with our core values.

"As a cooperative association of individual groups, Drum Corps International is committed to fostering mutual care and respect among, between and within its participating ensembles and member organizations. DCI treats all with dignity, courtesy, attention and appreciation; and seeks these traits without exception in all others with whom it engages.

"In any situation where a participating organization or its constituents are alleged to have violated DCI's code of conduct policies and values, DCI reaches out to the participating organization to assess what it is doing to ensure that such allegations are thoroughly investigated and that any substantiated allegations are promptly and fully addressed. Further, DCI will seek information regarding what steps a participating organization is taking to ensure that it fosters a healthy, constructive and safe environment for all participants, and may also seek assurances that the participating organization’s continued involvement is consistent with DCI policies. Failure to adhere to DCI policies and expectations can result in DCI terminating its relationship with that participating organization. 

"DCI was unaware of the specific allegations highlighted in the recent article. We take these allegations seriously, and in addition to reaching out to the participating organization, DCI will also conduct its own internal review to determine whether any current members of our staff were aware of these allegations and failed to report them, as required by DCI policy.

"In addition, DCI continues to review and update its policies, procedures and practices – with the goal of educating and increasing awareness to all who participate in its sanctioned programs and activities. From its global leadership position, DCI will continue to work diligently to promote a positive, safe and educationally appropriate environment for tens of thousands of students, instructors, administrators, volunteers, partners and supporters."

Timing would be good for drum corps to have it's #MeToo moment right now.  There is no way this is an isolated story.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

I think DCI’s statement can be read between the lines to say the current director has to go. Will fan response be negative to the corps this summer? These accusations are based on actions that happened in many cases before the marching members were born. Any fan who would not support the kids on the field as a way of blaming them for the director’s behavior would be ignorant. My guess is that if the Cadets is able to field a corps, they will well received if for no other reason, they are beleaguered. My hope is that the many good and talented Cadets alums who have wanted the corps, and there’s a slew of them, will work together to keep the corps alive, and that could happen. Cadets alums are a formidable group, and while GH had his supporters, the loyalty was to the corps first. Since so many are educators, they already know what is expected regarding the safety of young people, this could reassure parents. I hope they are able to group and keep the corps together.

Read what you want between the lines. DCI has several skeletons (past and present) in their own closet to worry about. They need to tread water very carefully

• Like 1

All in all, this is a wonderful thing that is happening despite the terrible events that have led to it. If this spreads to other corps, that's a good thing too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

The reach of that paper is huge 

Indeed it is, and so is the Allentown TV station. TV69 is carried on Philadelphia cable and satellite systems. The TV69 viewing area encompasses MILLIONS of potential viewers and reaches into Central NJ. Philadelphia TV news coverage is very common on Allentown streets, particularly over the past year that concluded with The Allentown Mayor being convicted on 52 counts presented by the FBI. This story can really grow across the nation. It's a negative no one needs.

The full DCI response was posted on the TV69 website.

Edited by Fred Windish

1 minute ago, fsthnds said:

Read what you want between the lines. DCI has several skeletons (past and present) in their own closet to worry about. They need to tread water very carefully

You may be referring to other instances of reported harassment in drum corps; apparently, as posted here and in my own experience, there are many of those here.  And that may be true.  But it's important to recognize that, likely, DCI, the organization in Indy, does not have these skeletons in their executive closets.

Just to be clear.

• Like 2