The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

Being a little overdramatic with pulling Cadets and C2 off the field?  One man does not a corps make, no matter how long someone is there for.

Corps was here long before him, and it will be here long after him.  If not for any other reason because there is no way the alumni will allow it to die.

I’m not arguing that point at all.  I’m trying to look at the larger picture here.  

Just throwing a thought out there.  Not saying this HAS to happen.

5 minutes ago, MikeM said:

Actually, and this probably won’t win the day - but I’ll toss it out there:

YEA needs to pull The Cadets and Cadets2 from all competition for the 2018 season.  

Why?  There will only be this distraction for this year.  Heck, parents may pull their kids out and leave them barely able to field a corps.  Take 2018 to revamp and restructure the organization.  Comeback after finals with everything in place to start the 2019 preparations even stronger.  Show everyone that hey, yes this happened.  But we’ve taken steps to make sure it won’t happen again.  You can’t run a tour and try and recover from this.

Thoughts?

I think I can confidently say that the members would be furious if this were to happen. They seem very determined to move past this and field a great show this season

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, George Dixon said:

Oh heck no

the show must go on! 

I knew it couldn’t last.  :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MikeM said:

I knew it couldn’t last.  :)

I’m surprised it lasted as long as it did.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 70sxmenbass said:

How about the corps starting the post-George era in a new place, like maybe GARFIELD ???

I would say there's a better chance of me becoming the second Pope Francis than there is of a move back to Garfield happening anytime in our lifetimes.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

Just now, 70sxmenbass said:

How about the corps starting the post-George era in a new place, like maybe GARFIELD ???

I'd be ok with that. If I were the alumni I would consider moving the Cadets back to NJ (Garfield or Bergenfield).  I would change the name to Garfield Cadets or Holy Name Cadets. I'm not so sure staying in Allentown is such a good idea from here on. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeM said:

Actually, and this probably won’t win the day - but I’ll toss it out there:

YEA needs to pull The Cadets and Cadets2 from all competition for the 2018 season.  

Why?  There will only be this distraction for this year.  Heck, parents may pull their kids out and leave them barely able to field a corps.  Take 2018 to revamp and restructure the organization.  Comeback after finals with everything in place to start the 2019 preparations even stronger.  Show everyone that hey, yes this happened.  But we’ve taken steps to make sure it won’t happen again.  You can’t run a tour and try and recover from this.

Thoughts?

Its an interesting suggestion, and perhaps this is the way forward for this great, iconic Drum Corps. I suppose its up to those that remain at the Cadets to decide on what to do now. I caution taking a season off, as history is not that kind to Corps that decide to suspend operations for a year or 2 with hopes of returning to competition later. Some come back, but most don't. And the ones that do make it back do not come back as competitively strong as they were when they made the decision to take time off from DCI  competition. On the other hand, the Cadets are unlike other Corps, so perhaps that strategy could work for them. But its unchartered territory. Its just sad that this has happened. No real good options here it would seem. Ugh.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Its an interesting suggestion, and perhaps this is the way forward for this great, iconic Drum Corps. I suppose its up to those that remain at the Cadets to decide on what to do now. I caution taking a season off, as history is not that kind to Corps that decide to suspend operations for a year or 2 with hopes of returning to competition later. Some come back, but most don't. And the ones that do make it back do not come back as competitively strong as they were when they made the decision to take time off from DCI  competition. On the other hand, the Cadets are unlike other Corps, so perhaps that strategy could work for them. But its unchartered territory. Its just sad that this has happened. No real good options here it would seem. Ugh.

I'm sure the camp this weekend will give them a good feel for how they should progress forward. I'd expect some lengthy, frank discussions from the kids, the parents and the staff. 

• Like 1