The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

"All of a sudden that old rain´s fallin´ down
and my world is cloudy and gray..."

In light of similar but unrelated news, I'm wondering: are YEA's finances audited? I know there's a 990, but those forms don't get into the fine details of how the money is spent. This might lead nowhere, but that's probably something that will need to be checked.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Terrible tone. Where is the suspended with ( or without) pay until the investigation is complete? 

No need to suspend him...as it says...."George has resigned. Though he denies the allegations, he believes stepping aside is in the best interest of the organization. We agree. His resignation is effective immediately."

1 minute ago, ohwiseone said:

Yeah. Not sure that is the best tone from YEA about all of this. 

I have a feeling this is just the beginning with regard to them.

It took them way to long to have him resign. DCI needs to do their own investigation. 

A little contrition here would have went a long way. 

• Like 2

They'll never admit it, but it almost feels like George wrote that press release. Especially those last two paragraphs. 

Yeesh.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

I've stated elsewhere that it wasn't smart at least for Hopkins to wait until the article came out to resign.

BUT...where does everyone get this 3 months thing?  I've read the article twice and didn't see where they mentioned they were asked for comment back in December/January? 

People on this site have been speculating something was up with GH and Cadets, and it was pretty fast and furious a few months back. I actually thought some of it was slanderous and unless it was related to this situation, it was slander. Personally, I did think he had an overall huge ego at times, found him odd at times, and questioned some of his decisions, but I never suspected what he’s accused of today. 

Terri, who I find knowledgeable about the activity and in other threads has disclosed why this issue is important, has a point. It may be too early for a full statement, and certainly too early for as carefully worded statement as DCI issued, but DCI probably has lawyers on call who can write statements quickly. In the case of YEA or the Cadets board, if they are not ready to make a statement, they could at least acknowledge they are investigating the matter and they support the accusers and their families. In any school, Church, or youth activity, at least acknowledging the matter is standard protocol, which many schools, churches, and youth activities learned the hard way. 

Edit: I only saw the YEA statement after the original posting of this response.

Edited by Tim K

The more I hear the worse I feel about this.  It makes me want to vomit.  This is well beyond George, that BOD needs to go.  I feel the worse for the current members after the victims.......they do not deserve any of this or to have their season ruined because of it.  I hope it's not for them.  

• Like 4

Just now, MotoSurfBass said:

but it almost feels like George wrote that press release. Especially those last two paragraphs. 

not enough ... ellipsis ...

for George Hopkins.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Here's what the statement says:

"Based on recent reporting, Drum Corps International has been made aware of claims made by former performers and employees of a participating organization against the director of that organization.

"DCI is deeply concerned about these accusations and anyone who may have been subjected to or affected by behavior which is not in keeping with our core values.

"As a cooperative association of individual groups, Drum Corps International is committed to fostering mutual care and respect among, between and within its participating ensembles and member organizations. DCI treats all with dignity, courtesy, attention and appreciation; and seeks these traits without exception in all others with whom it engages.

"In any situation where a participating organization or its constituents are alleged to have violated DCI's code of conduct policies and values, DCI reaches out to the participating organization to assess what it is doing to ensure that such allegations are thoroughly investigated and that any substantiated allegations are promptly and fully addressed. Further, DCI will seek information regarding what steps a participating organization is taking to ensure that it fosters a healthy, constructive and safe environment for all participants, and may also seek assurances that the participating organization’s continued involvement is consistent with DCI policies. Failure to adhere to DCI policies and expectations can result in DCI terminating its relationship with that participating organization. 

"DCI was unaware of the specific allegations highlighted in the recent article. We take these allegations seriously, and in addition to reaching out to the participating organization, DCI will also conduct its own internal review to determine whether any current members of our staff were aware of these allegations and failed to report them, as required by DCI policy.

"In addition, DCI continues to review and update its policies, procedures and practices – with the goal of educating and increasing awareness to all who participate in its sanctioned programs and activities. From its global leadership position, DCI will continue to work diligently to promote a positive, safe and educationally appropriate environment for tens of thousands of students, instructors, administrators, volunteers, partners and supporters."

(Note: No specific mention of George Hopkins, The Cadets, or YEA.)

Thanks for posting that. I couldn't get DCI's site to load.