The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

15 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Or maybe it has and has been removed? Regardless...

BREAKING A LONG SILENCE

Allentown’s Cadets are among the world’s best drum corps, and their director is a big reason why. But nine women now accuse him of sexual abuse and harassment spanning four decades.

By Tricia L. Nadolny

April 5, 2018

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/cadets-drum-bugle-corps-george-hopkins-sexual-abuse-harrassment-allentown-pennsylvania.html

Uh oh...

2 hours ago, Kyle B said:

There is no internet King or Queen, no one is required to do anything based on the demand of a few or many.  A statement will come when it comes.  

There sort of is a ruler of the internet, I'd say: public opinion.

17 minutes ago, CACTSC said:

Worst response ever. Victim blaming. Tone deaf. Is there no one there with a clue??  After this horrid response the only choice is for the whole BOD to go. My goodness I didn’t realize there could be a whole group of people so incredibly stupid. Come on YEA do better. 

yeah after several readings...Holy Jesus Backflipping bad

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Lance said:

Here are some suggested edits. I did it quickly, so forgive minor grammar errors. 

I'm not going to dignify the next 2 paragraphs with edits. They're too disturbing to read. 

The final paragraph was fine to me, so I didn't include it. 

Hear, hear! 

This doesn’t sound like the George Hopkins I know...

SAID NO ONE EVER. 

Wow, not a single post from anyone saying to hold the phone, George is innocent. Why did everyone allow Hopkins to crush the Cadets under his narcissistic behavior for years?! Why did YEA allow the board to create a scenario that virtually everyone knew could be headed for disaster at the highest level?

This SUCKS. And it sucks to a large degree because we all knew this could happen on any number of fronts! This should never have happened! 

Please, If you are another drum corps, take heed of this day and for the sake of everyone don’t let this happen to you! No one person should have the power to crush a corps under their own personal failings. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, camel lips said:

George Hopkins! 

Who was it that had that image of Hopkins as Darth Sidious saying, "I will make it legal"? Not anymore, it seems.

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

This doesn’t sound like the George Hopkins I know...

SAID NO ONE EVER. 

Wow, not a single post from anyone saying to hold the phone, George is innocent. Why did everyone allow Hopkins to crush the Cadets under his narcissistic behavior for years?! Why did YEA allow the board to create a scenario that virtually everyone knew could be headed for disaster at the highest level?

This SUCKS. And it sucks to a large degree because we all knew this could happen on any number of fronts! This should never have happened! 

Please, If you are another drum corps, take heed of this day and for the sake of everyone don’t let this happen to you! No one person should have the power to crush a corps under their own personal failings. 

Slow clap standing O.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, camel lips said:

I would bet a crispy that DCA cuts ties with Cadets2....

That would suck.

If THAT is the response YEA is sticking with, then the Cadets are finished.

Done.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah after several readings...Holy Jesus Backflipping bad

To state that we could not really get to the bottom of this because we had so little"cooperation" from the alleged multiple victims, is cringe worthy, imo. Even if true, there was no need to shame the victims for an alleged " lack of cooperation " for their wanting to " not cooperate " with YEA's own hired guns... ugh. These YEA BOD people seem tone deaf at the least, or classic enablers in the worst, sad to say. That YEA press release was seemingly not all that sympathetic to any of these 9 alleged victims, and that was not helpful at all, imo. Its no wonder the victims felt their only recourse was to go to media . YEA acted within hours of the media publishing this to make sure they took GH's resignation. YEA's 3 months of their " vigorous " internal investigation could not get him to step aside during it though.. YEA could have prevented this from damaging DCI and the other Corps without a major newspaper's publishing of the story. But YEA apparently chose a different strategy with this. Not sure that was such a smart move on their behalf, and the YEA statement was pretty pathetic. Cadets need to clean house, and start anew. That YEA Board is part of the problem too as they seem to outsiders as little more than coat hangers, coffee fetchers, and rubber stampers for GH.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2