The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

31 minutes ago, CACTSC said:

Worst response ever. Victim blaming. Tone deaf. Is there no one there with a clue??  After this horrid response the only choice is for the whole BOD to go. My goodness I didn’t realize there could be a whole group of people so incredibly stupid. Come on YEA do better. 

Obviously you never had the privilege of talking with the Chairman of the BOD's aka. Mr. Peabody. I wouldn't let him run a popcycle stand.  Forrest Gump would have been a better choice. Zero personality and no leadership qualities.

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, geluf said:

If THAT is the response YEA is sticking with, then the Cadets are finished.

Done.

no. Many alumni are furious with that statement. And given how many alumni have been shunned by the former CEO, i bet they are welcome back....or will force their way back in

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

Somewhat informative but inadequate, I think. There needs to be an independent investigation.

• Like 1

So so many people deserve better than this, including the current staff.

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

no. Many alumni are furious with that statement. And given how many alumni have been shunned by the former CEO, i bet they are welcome back....or will force their way back in

Let’s all hope so, Jeff. Maybe Cadets can start a new chapter and put this behind them. I surely hope so.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

That entire board has to go.  Immediately.  Alumni are all well and good, but who has the power to oust the board?  Honestly asking.

I'd put real money on the sponsorships calling to cancel by tomorrow.  Does anyone think, say, Yamaha wants to their corporate logo plastered on YEA's website right now?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

Obviously you never had the privilege of talking with the Chairman of the BOD's aka. Mr. Peabody. I wouldn't let him run popcycle stand.  Forrest Gump would have been a better choice. Zero personality and no leadership qualities.

That was quite a night,  At least, there was nice scenery. 

Even FloMarching covered it on their site

38 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Although you can be right I would caution calling for the removal of people. Sure if people directly knew something and did nothing I would agree but this can spread out way further than the Cadets. Remember many people over the years were with them, then move on to others. If one wants to literally gut the activity this could be a way to do it, One could easily say well so and so was there a few years or more and they had to know. How does one defend themselves with this.. or not? Something for sure should be done if all allegations are true but as the old saying goes be careful what you ask for. You might get it.

I have talked to a few past staff members who literally hate Hop now and are elsewhere and I said to them what if you are questioned on what you knew and made to be as guilty as Hop, what you going to say ( or do ) Well needless to say they were dumbfounded and all of a sudden got quiet. 

Picture an old staff member now questioned by their HS job...maybe this all should be out BUT it will spread like wildfire through every part of the activity, WGI DCA, DCI  BOA etc etc...Maybe it should, especially if there is a legitimate reason but we all know how guilt comes before facts sometimes in the court of public opinion. 

As they always say, its not the crime, its the coverup. These problems stem from others who know not speaking up. This is a smoldering fire right now, and it may be kept to spreading further only as a small fire. But if its found out large numbers of people knew about, covered up, or did similar things, it will be a raging inferno. And if those things did happen, they will be exposed. As was stated earlier in this thread, best to put it all out there as quickly as possible and take responsibility. The next few months (years?) are likely to see some serious challenges for pretty much all corps. If this is what it takes to ensure no one in this activity ever again has to suffer what these victims did, it will have been worth it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, geluf said:

That entire board has to go.  Immediately.  Alumni are all well and good, but who has the power to oust the board?  Honestly asking.

I'd put real money on the sponsorships calling to cancel by tomorrow.  Does anyone think, say, Yamaha wants to their corporate logo plastered on YEA's website right now?

I imagine the new leadership will talking to those folks to try to work it out. There is value in the brand despite this.

Remember, as beloved as Hop was to some, he was easily the most hated person in the activity for YEARS. Many people, alumni and fans alike have been calling for him to get out for several years...especially as the placement slipped.

Lets say the new team boosts the corps back up to the top three. Cinderella story? hell yes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Eleran said:

Well, let's be clear here:   the only allegations in that story having to do with actual corps members (at the time of the incidents) took place nearly 40 years ago when Hopkins was in his early 20s.  It's not like 60 year old Hopkins is running around naked in the showers at housing sites [now THERE'S an image you won't be able to get rid of].

Also, the members (and likely their parents) knew of Scott Atchison's past, and still made the decision to come to Cadets this decision when he was initially going to be brass caption head.

Good point. Seems like there should be a statute of limitations for accusations like this.