The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

11 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Good point. Seems like there should be a statute of limitations for accusations like this.

Don't be blinded by the sunlight as you exit your cave.

13 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Good point. Seems like there should be a statute of limitations for accusations like this.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuh

18 minutes ago, geluf said:

That entire board has to go.  Immediately.  Alumni are all well and good, but who has the power to oust the board?  Honestly asking.

Donors, sponsors, members, and alumni, in effect, by telling the board that unless they all resign, all income stops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just want to say, all of us are wholly capable of and inclined to terrible misconduct. While I have never held Hopkins to any sort of regard, I don’t celebrate his demise. I am completely capable of everything and worse. 

I am mostly angry with those who enabled him to become a constant threatening and intimidating presence in this activity. We all knew how dangerous his dominating role could be to Cadets. As would it be for any organization! This is why you have boards. You build accountability because men need accountability. All of us!

I hope this isn’t the beginning of a long trail of misdeeds that now come to light, but I’m not holding my breath. I tend to be skeptical of things that come to light years or even decades later, but, I am also old enough to understand that a cat doesn’t change his stripes. People who act a certain way in some areas and at some times, do so in other areas and often. I hope YEA gets ahead of this, and fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Attitudes like this are partially responsible for making victims of sexual assault feel reluctant to come forward in the first place. All they’re met with is scorn and distrust.

This is not a sad day for George Hopkins. George Hopkins is not the victim here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

19 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Even FloMarching covered it on their site.

There was a short thread on the Music for All forums back in early February indicating that YEA and/or Hopkins was under investigation, but I misunderstood that at the time, not to mention hints here by you and others, to mean that Hopkins might have covered up someone else's misdeeds, not that he himself had behaved so horribly.

19 minutes ago, flugelswerebugels said:

As they always say, its not the crime, its the coverup. These problems stem from others who know not speaking up.

That's a common saying, but in fact it's usually the crime. People cover up because they're really worried about what they're covering up. Also because covering up often succeeds! Which doesn't mean the cover-up won't make it worse. But this case is more than bad enough already.

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

That's a common saying, but in fact it's usually the crime. People cover up because they're really worried about what they're covering up. Also because covering up often succeeds! Which doesn't mean the cover-up won't make it worse. But this case is more than bad enough already.

People will often forgive a crime, but won’t forgive a coverup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

The fact that it often takes victims so long to come forward, because this kind of misbehavior makes victims feel like they rather than the offender have done something wrong, actually means that statutes of limitation should be longer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, flugelswerebugels said:

Don't be blinded by the sunlight as you exit your cave.

Was this a well known dirty little secret that GH was forcing himself on cadet members?