The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Breaking...

https://www.yamaha.com/marchingmusic/cadets/2018/yamaha-stands-with-the-cadets

YAMAHA STANDS WITH THE CADETS, VOWS SUPPORT DURING TRANSITION

--"...sending reps to this weekend's camp with support..."

(Fake News.  Fake link. A parody.  I made it all up because I am Schultz.  But you have to admit, it would be...)

A Great Headline In a Show of Support and Unanimity Behind the Marching Members!

I'm just not buying that it's a fait-accompli that support is going to bail.  And, if the accused is gone, and there are lots of supervision, transparency, and open dialog along with a fabulous distractingly-productive camp, this could just as easily turn out to be the cathartic cleansing that leads to much greater things, if the kids who DO show up do stay and do show that there are new leaders and better things coming - without the fear.

I"m just flabbergasted that the domain name yamaha.com was available for someone to create a spoof.

1 hour ago, jeffmolnar said:

Unfortunately, Hop *was* YEA. 

...and probably still is. 

If " Hop is YEA ", then it would seem that the entire YEA Board needs to resign or be removed ... and immediately. Otherwise what assurance does anyone at DCI have that GH will not be running things behind the scenes. No communication should be taking place between anyone on this YEA Board either with GH,, nor GH with YEA BOD as he is still presumably under investigation for what appear to be serious felonies.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

it hit the AP Wire. NYTimes had it

So many thoughts and things I want to say but haven’t truly processed it all yet. I knew this story was coming out. 

I will say this though. I think the YEA organization and USBands is finished. I do think the Cadets will remain standing. 

• Like 2

I think maybe George needs to spend a little time in jail once all is said and done.  This may be a stretch, but he reminds me of a Bernie Madoff.  While GH has stolen from people emotionally, professionally, physically, Bernie stole from people financially and emotionally.  One person or a small knit core had complete control of a corporation.  Both corporations struggling on the inside but looking beautiful on the outside. Many lives affected. I wouldn't doubt that if thing get researched into further GH benefitted financially more than he should have.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

a long frustrated alumni base for a variety of reasons, and shut out for voicing those reasons, will now have some say. I expect serious changes as time goes on

Like programming that does not suck...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Knowing what a controlling person GH is, I find it almost impossible to imagine he is not still pulling the strings in the background. 

• Like 1

Last year, Jeff Ream posted a link to a USA Today story about how instructors fired or even convicted for sexual misdeeds often continue to work by moving to other states. Jeff observed that one of the people mentioned in the article was employed by Cadets.

George Hopkins, whose DCP screen name is YEAguy, responded here. He said he and YEA's attorney were aware of this history.

That incident probably bears revisiting in light of yesterday's news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

People are talking about the board well it could go a lot further than that, Long time staff there. What did they know and when? You can bet it can be way bigger than the cadets. If many and I mean many outsiders, especially some that are lighting the torches think they are isolated, think again. I have had a few conversations in the past 24 hours with past staffers and presented this question.\, needless to say they clammed up quick. 

YES, there is a  need to get to the bottom of this and all parties should and need to be heard.

Absolutely. Any other Corps that had these incidents with rape ( either gender too ), sexual harrassment,  sex with underage minors, trading sexual favors for job retention/ hirings, etc  needs to have this completely aired out, and if these people are still involved in DCI, they need to be shown the door too. This goes without saying. DCI should not be immune either from having a 3rd party investigation on what policies and procedures they had in place to prevent these things from occuring. Above all else, its the safety of everyone first and foremost that transends any musical. dance, percussion instructiion. I think we can all agree on this.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, dbc03 said:

I'm curious -- exactly what is it that you are suggesting the current board should have done?

Suspend him while cooperating with an independent investigation. I'm not sure why that is complicated

Yep.

Have Cadets had any camps since YEA's board was first told about these allegations?

For that matter, they have some sort of winter guard or winter percussion program, don't they?

If so, did they forbid Hopkins from attending those rehearsals while their investigation was under way?

• Like 1