The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the number one statement i have seen from anyone who has left YEA, even on glass door is they believe in the mission...just not how it was executed. And i think like others have said, they didnt speak up for fear it would kill the organization.

i just did a quick count....13 people i know that worked there for a year or less. Number one reason they left...the director. number one reason they didnt speak up...they dodnt want to kill the organization. And, like the victims....who would listen to them? You can go back 20 years on RAMD and see people called the board hand picked puppets.

Thanks, Jeff. I know only 2 former employees that I can immediately think of, one we both know. The one you don't know also gave the same reasons you listed. So many repeated patterns, I just sigh.

As I was sitting on the bus this morning commuting to my office several thoughts ran through my mind:

— We’re probably going to see movement away from slinky Spandex costuming and uniforms. My son who marched SCVC in 2016 & 2017 would probably support this; he liked the “traditional” SCV uni he wore for the ‘17 Rose Parade a lot better. 

— Less sexual themes in shows (new show themes: “A Return to Modesty”; “#MeThree”) 

— Footage of ‘87 or ‘89 VK’s incredibly-over-the-top “Girl In White Bikini & White Pumps” gag during closer deleted from the Web. 

— I’ve been in the insurance industry since ‘88, and if I were the VPs of Claims or Commercial Underwriting of the insurance carrier(s) who wrote the General Liability and Umbrella of the organization at the focus of this thread I’d #### well pull that file now and keep it close at hand, because they’re gonna need it. This is similar to long term claims like Roman Catholic Church, various school districts or PSU where multiple occurrences took place over many years. Start reserving now....

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is an actual link to an actual URL...

http://www.pacific-crest.org/2018/04/pacific-crest-statement/

"Pacific Crest is sad to hear the allegations of sexual harassment and abuse by the former director of the Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps.

Pacific Crest has always believed that safeguarding our performers, volunteers, and staff is the most important job we have. We have policies on file that clearly outline our expectations for everyone in the organization that are specifically designed to prevent harassment and abuse. We remain vigilant on these issues and review our policies and practices consistently.

We have confidence that the Cadets will conduct a thorough investigation of the matter and take appropriate actions.

Gerry Van Booven
President
Board of Directors
Pacific Crest Youth Arts Organization"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know DCA is a much smaller and looser organization than DCI, but they probably should make some statement as well, particularly given the younger membership age of Cadets2, and I don't see one yet.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

I just hope that the performers can continue with the season. They don’t deserve to have their experience utterly destroyed in the wake of this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

my hunch is the new powers that be put something out soon, and that most likely will help calm a lot of ruffled feathers....parents, sponsors, alumni....alumni and fans alike have been very positive on the choices named to step up. Now the balls in their court, and IMO, they need a few hours to digest it all before they speak, and i totally understand that. 

Thanks, Jeff.  You steadfastness made a lot of people on here look at an issue that’s unpleasant but needed to be exposed.   Drum corps will a better activity for this. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Not enough eye rolls in the world for this . But He also responded to the group in a thread that was deleted (screen shot):

ju7Nbc2.png

As did Scott Lee Atchison (screen shot)

DGUyNnx.png

Oh my.  Nothing on the internet ever really goes away.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

the Glassdoor reviews are brutal.

I read them for my own edification. Dear God, Sweet baby Jesus. And I thought my job was bad and it can be. At least I have the Teamsters, 5 weeks of Vacation, and get 5 days of personal time off a year when I want it as long as its not between Black Friday and New year's Eve.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lithium Nitro said:

As a whole, Hopkins resigning probably won't amount in much if the board is a) going to let him run things off stage or b) follow and do the exact same things.  The board needs to be replaced along with Hopkins.

I would imagine that if DCI believes that YEA Board did not follow established DCI protocol to notify DCI HQ promptly when it got notification from an outside lawfirm representing sexual assault victims of abuses, that it would be within its legal authority to suspend the Cadets from show performances until such time as the Cadets replaces its current BOD with another. Should they ? it all depends, I suppose. Its too early to make that judgement as this story just broke yesterday in the national media. Once lawyers and investigatory news outlets are contacting DCI HQ about what they knew and when, it becomes now a DCI issue as well, not just a YEA/ Cadets issue.

Edited by BRASSO

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I would imagine that if DCI believes that YEA Board did not follow established DCI protocol to notify DCI HQ promptly when it got notification from an outside lawfirm representing sexual assault victims of abuses, that it would be within its legal authority to suspend the Cadets from show performances until such time as the Cadets replaces its current BOD with another. Once lawyers and investigatory news outlets are contacting DCI HQ about what they knew and when, it becomes now a DCI issue as well, not just a YEA/ Cadets issue.

The obvious next question if a suspension occurs is what happens to all of the competitions hosted by YEA/Cadets?

Edited by Old Corps Guy