The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

28 minutes ago, garfield said:

Brasso, my friend, where in the world did you get these protocols?  I think you should read DCI's statement again.  DCI has no power what-so-ever to suspend Cadets

Who says ? Are you a lawyer ? DCI has stepped in and suspended Corps from further show performances on at least 6 separate occasions in the past. And on mere allegations alone of violating DCI policies. And the suspensions were all for non criminal violations too. I am not suggesting DCI should neccessarily do this, but the YEA actions are seemingly so bereft of responsibility here, if that HOP's hand picked YEA BOD stays on, it most certainly could be wiithin DCI's authority to do so, should they choose to do so. DCI  once suspended the Troopers from further performances too in WC .  So this notion you have that DCI is impotent and has no authority to step in and suspend a Corps further show performances if they wanted too is simply wrong... as DCI has already done so on at least  a half dozen separate occasions in the past. ... and some suspensions from further show participations did not even require the vote nor approval of the other member Corps either. YEA could spare DCI from even considering  this, if they all simply  did the right thing and all resigned now on that  GH personally handpicked YEA BOD too.. So the Cadets can start completely fresh anew.

Edited by BRASSO

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

USBands has kept the Cadets alive. They'll find a way to keep that

They'll certainly try, Jeff. That being said, it will take a lot of candor, transparency, and a very proactive response to all of this to justify it all to School Boards and Band Parent organizations that have been forking over the fees for years, no questions asked. There should be fair and serious questions asked now, unless those groups are without a pulse or brain-dead.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

If " Hop is YEA ", then it would seem that the entire YEA Board needs to resign or be removed ... and immediately. Otherwise what assurance does anyone at DCI have that GH will not be running things behind the scenes. No communication should be taking place between anyone on this YEA Board either with GH,, nor GH with YEA BOD as he is still presumably under investigation for what appear to be serious felonies.

This is my concern as well. He “resigned,” but is really just going to run YEA/Cadets from behind the scenes. As long as the puppet BOD is in place, there WILL be contact with Hopkins and there’s more than a good chance he’ll be briefed on the day to day operations of “his” Cadets.

**For the record, they are not, nor were they ever, his Cadets.....ever.**

Edited by fireshane1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I would imagine that if DCI believes that YEA Board did not follow established DCI protocol to notify DCI HQ promptly when it got notification from an outside lawfirm representing sexual assault victims of abuses, that it would be within its legal authority to suspend the Cadets from show performances until such time as the Cadets replaces its current BOD with another. Should they ? it all depends, I suppose. Its too early to make that judgement as this story just broke yesterday in the national media. Once lawyers and investigatory news outlets are contacting DCI HQ about what they knew and when, it becomes now a DCI issue as well, not just a YEA/ Cadets issue.

My feeling (or at least hope) is they would want to do something that would be in the best interests of the students. If i were DCI my focus would probably be on supporting the new management and helping them find the resources they need to put more structure in place, provide support for due diligence, and work wit the students and families to help them build trust in the program. Shutting down the corps would essentially be the death penalty, I just don’t see how you can recover from something like that. The activity as a whole is stronger with the Cadets. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Who says ? Are you a lawyer ? DCI has stepped in and suspended Corps from further show performances on at least 6 separate occasions in the past. And on mere allegations alone of violating DCI policies. And the suspensions were all for non criminal violations too. I am not suggesting DCI should neccessarily do this, but the YEA actions are seemingly so bereft of responsibility here, if that HOP's hand picked YEA BOD stays on, it most certainly could be wiithin DCI's authority to do so, should they choose to do so. DCI  once suspended the Troopers from further performances too in WC .  So this notion you have that DCI is impotent and has no authority to step in and suspend a Corps further show performances if they wanted too is simply wrong... as DCI has already done so on at least  a half dozen separate occasions in the past. ... and some suspensions from further show participations did not even require the vote nor approval of the other member Corps either.

i cant imagine serious change/removal coming to the board soon. A lot of dissatisfied alumni now being welcomed home.

10 minutes ago, fireshane1 said:

This is my concern as well. He “resigned,” but is really just going to run YEA/Cadets from behind the scenes. As long as the puppet BOD is in place, there WILL be contact with Hopkins and there’s more than a good chance he’ll be briefed on the day to day operations of “his” Cadets.

**For the record, they are not, nor were they ever, his Cadets.....ever.**

nor was he, despite his preaching about the Cadet way, ever a Cadet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

My feeling (or at least hope) is they would want to do something that would be in the best interests of the students. If i were DCI my focus would probably be on supporting the new management and helping them find the resources they need to put more structure in place, provide support for due diligence, and work wit the students and families to help them build trust in the program. Shutting down the corps would essentially be the death penalty, I just don’t see how you can recover from something like that. The activity as a whole is stronger with the Cadets. 

I agree with this as well. No way do I want to see the Cadets suspended from further shows either. Not calling for this, nor believe at the moment its warraranted either. But this YEA BOD has got to all go now, imo. That statement they put out yesterday sealed it for me. Hope DCI does not have to intercede here if that YEA BOD is still there for much longer.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I agree with this as well. No way do I want to see the Cadets suspended from further shows either. Not calling for this, nor believe at the moment its warraranted either. But this YEA BOD has got to all go now, imo. That statement they put out yesterday sealed it for me. Hope DCI does not have to intercede here if that YEA BOD is still there for much longer.

Absolutely agree my friend, the BOD has to go. I truly hate saying that, and I hate all of this. But man, this will not (and should not) end well for them if they don’t. 

Ive served on BODs for two youth organizations, and I just can’t believe the board didn’t have any knowledge of what was happening. This is a nightmare scenario that most board members never want to think about. And you have to wonder about the personal culpability the individual board members might have. If i were a current BOD member, I would probably be talking to an attorney, just to be on the safe side. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 3