The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

If there's a special election for a new BoD, maybe I'd throw my hat in the ring [as long as BoD chairs don't come with a minimum donation requirement, like so many charities!].

1 minute ago, Eleran said:

If there's a special election for a new BoD, maybe I'd throw my hat in the ring [as long as BoD chairs don't come with a minimum donation requirement, like so many charities!].

Given the MO to date, that should be the last thing they should do.

2 hours ago, drummergirl said:

So many thoughts and things I want to say but haven’t truly processed it all yet. I knew this story was coming out. 

I will say this though. I think the YEA organization and USBands is finished. I do think the Cadets will remain standing. 

How many school principals or superintendents will be instructing their band directors to have NO FURTHER AFFILIATION with US Bands once they hear this story??????

7 hours ago, garfield said:

Or not.  You need to step down your rhetoric, IMO, because you can't predict the future. 

There are lots of alums who, once the ship is righted, will get on board to help row.

That changes your entire dynamic.

Even if you have credentials, you can't predict the future. 

The BOD knew about this at least since January and refused the victims' request for Hopkins to be suspended (not fired) and for an independent investigation to take place.  This is all a matter of record at this point.   In short, a big part of the reason things got to this point is because the BOD refused to act.

So I ask, out of genuine curiosity: What part of my rhetoric was inflammatory?  I'm simply pointing out what has already happened and what is likely to transpire as a result.  Some of which, btw, is already taking place, such as pressure on corporate sponsors to reevaluate their relationship with the Cadets.

Believe it or not, I truly have no desire to see the Cadets destroyed.  For me, this is about saving the organization.

1 minute ago, fsthnds said:

How many school principals or superintendents will be instructing their band directors to have NO FURTHER AFFILIATION with US Bands once they hear this story??????

My kid’s high school has chosen to sever its association with YEA. I don’t know if the other schools in the area are following suit, but they should.

35 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Who says ? Are you a lawyer ? DCI has stepped in and suspended Corps from further show performances on at least 6 separate occasions in the past. And on mere allegations alone of violating DCI policies. And the suspensions were all for non criminal violations too. I am not suggesting DCI should neccessarily do this, but the YEA actions are seemingly so bereft of responsibility here, if that HOP's hand picked YEA BOD stays on, it most certainly could be wiithin DCI's authority to do so, should they choose to do so. DCI  once suspended the Troopers from further performances too in WC .  So this notion you have that DCI is impotent and has no authority to step in and suspend a Corps further show performances if they wanted too is simply wrong... as DCI has already done so on at least  a half dozen separate occasions in the past. ... and some suspensions from further show participations did not even require the vote nor approval of the other member Corps either. YEA could spare DCI from even considering  this, if they all simply  did the right thing and all resigned now on that  GH personally handpicked YEA BOD too.. So the Cadets can start completely fresh anew.

As someone who marched in a corps that was suspended from DCI competition, I just don't believe DCI has no power here.  Keep in mind that suspensions only apply to DCI competition.  Suspended corps can still perform.  We (The Crossmen) performed exhibitions at DCI shows and competed in non-DCI shows.

We also came back and were even stronger the next year.  The recovery from that suspension--and other near disasters that almost killed the corps--is part of the Crossmen culture:  "When all else is gone the Bones remain."

I should add that getting out of YEA and surviving is also part of the culture, too.

• Like 1

According to the one article, the YEA BOD hired the law firm that represents them as the "independent investigator" to investigate the allegations against Hopkins. They should have hired someone completely independent of all parties involved to investigate and not their own lawyers.  It's highly unlikely you'll get an unbiased report when you hire someone you pay to protect you to investigate criminal allegations made against you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wallace said:

My kid’s high school has chosen to sever its association with YEA. I don’t know if the other schools in the area are following suit, but they should.

Hopefully if appropriate steps are taken (which should include replacement of the board) cooler heads will prevail and these decisions will be revisited.

56 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if anything they may have known of the myriad of rumors swirling, but didn't know exact details. better to be safe and not jump to conclusions until you have actual useful information.

Yes, although I think as soon as DCI had any inkling, it would have behooved them to contact the YEA board president to make sure it was being investigated.

52 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

thought about bringing that up. Chose not to spend 4 hours searching for it

Took me just four minutes, but most of which was spent trying to remember Hopkins's screen name. Had I not remembered, it probably would have taken me four hours, too.