The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Oh my.  Nothing on the internet ever really goes away.  

I'd say it nearly did in this case, and would have if not for mingus having the foresight to save those posts.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, garfield said:

Brasso, my friend, where in the world did you get these protocols?  I think you should read DCI's statement again.  DCI has no power what-so-ever to suspend Cadets until it replaces its BoD!

You keep wanting DCI to be at the center of this, and they simply aren't.

Are you sure? We know about DCI (and DCA too) having punished corps in the past. Not saying that's the answer, just saying historically, it's been done.

11 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

How many school principals or superintendents will be instructing their band directors to have NO FURTHER AFFILIATION with US Bands once they hear this story??????

A fair question. Especially since one of the strategies encouraged by YEA to get the fee money was to ask the School District, not the band parents to cover the fees in similar fashion to the school's athletic departments having their State Athletic Association fees paid for by the district. Again, a lot will depend on YEA's response, their candor, transparency, and contrition. We'll have to wait and see.

7 hours ago, garfield said:

No, but I'm not the one making the contention.

It's not the opinion, it's the certainty of his wording with which I take issue.

Cool heads and civil discussion means admitting that actual facts as we know them do not predict that any path is certain at this point.

I think you read too much into it. This is a discussion forum, so it's hard to read someone's tone, but really we're all just spit balling and speculating what could happen. It could go left or right, but clearly things can not stay on the current track. I think that's what they were getting at. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

As someone who marched in a corps that was suspended from DCI competition, I just don't believe DCI has no power here.  Keep in mind that suspensions only apply to DCI competition.  Suspended corps can still perform.  We (The Crossmen) performed exhibitions at DCI shows and competed in non-DCI shows.

We also came back and were even stronger the next year.  The recovery from that suspension--and other near disasters that almost killed the corps--is part of the Crossmen culture:  "When all else is gone the Bones remain."

I should add that getting out of YEA and surviving is also part of the culture, too.

As I understand it, DCIs role is an event promoter. You are correct in saying they have no way to “shut the corps down”, however, the DCI BOD can suspend the organization and remove them from the board, as well as deny them entry to any DCI sanctioned shows. The bigger question is, what does doing this this resolve? What kind of impact will this have on the students and the activity? There is an opportunity to do something that is constructive and to heal. Denying them the opportunity to perform would be a knee jerk reaction and the wrong decision, IMHO.

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2oldcadets said:

This really is not about older alumni wanting to take GH down for no reason. 

This is & has always been about removing a person from a position in which they have created a untrue persona in a position of power & self- created reverence, that also continually allows for fresh students, volunteers, etc, every year, which helps to keep people from bothering to report anything, as it's easier to just move on.

That & the fact that yet-to-be enlightened followers, will do their best to distance you from the activity that is our family.

Yes, it is BUT I have delt and seen many alumni over several corps and as much good as they do some can do just as much damage. You're right this shouldn't be about alumni. Then answer a question, why are some Cadet alumni, planning a celebration at a Garfield restaurant and discussing how they can reinsert themselves. 

Alumni can and do play a very important part of any organization but to think they should be calling shots as many did is a self-entitlement. 

Believe me, I do hear you on how Hop was with just about everyone around him, the demeaning, the me, me, me, the using until you weren't needed anymore, let's just remember before Hop then after. He may have been a lot of truly despicable things but he did do his job and saved this corps. Like those facts or not. Was it worth it? well we all could have a different answer I suppose.

I by no means are defending such horrific acts if true and he should step away and victims should truly have their day.

Last question, if in this case, it is what I highlighted above, how can you say this is about the poor victims in this case and does it go as others have said more about getting rid of Hop. Seems you kinda answered that question.

THIS should only be about the issue at hand period...JMO

4 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Hopefully if appropriate steps are taken (which should include replacement of the board) cooler heads will prevail and these decisions will be revisited.

No, the BD was adamant, and he seemed assured the other schools will be leaving, too. He remarked it was bad enough YEA was being run by an alleged rapist, but the board covered it up which signaled, at least to him, that the organization didn’t have the best interests of students at heart. I agree with him.

• Thanks 2

From the Indy Star article:

"The employee handbook contains directions for Drum Corps International employees on how to report allegations, Acheson said. But now, the organization is reviewing how to create a similar process for those outside who are involved in drum corps groups, such as participants, their families or directors."

"Drum Corps International also is reviewing policies related to ensuring compliance with best practices and laws around reporting abuse for participating groups, Acheson said."

Edited by N.E. Brigand

26 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I agree with this as well. No way do I want to see the Cadets suspended from further shows either. Not calling for this, nor believe at the moment its warraranted either. But this YEA BOD has got to all go now, imo. That statement they put out yesterday sealed it for me. Hope DCI does not have to intercede here if that YEA BOD is still there for much longer.

They need to go, yes!  Doing it immediately would be more of a disaster.  Someone needs to attend to business for the organization.  The best course I can imagine would be if existing alumni and friends could organize suitable replacements for each board member.  Each board member can then resign as soon as a replacement is ready.