The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

31 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Yes, it is BUT I have delt and seen many alumni over several corps and as much good as they do some can do just as much damage. You're right this shouldn't be about alumni. Then answer a question, why are some Cadet alumni, planning a celebration at a Garfield restaurant and discussing how they can reinsert themselves. 

Alumni can and do play a very important part of any organization but to think they should be calling shots as many did is a self-entitlement. 

Believe me, I do hear you on how Hop was with just about everyone around him, the demeaning, the me, me, me, the using until you weren't needed anymore, let's just remember before Hop then after. He may have been a lot of truly despicable things but he did do his job and saved this corps. Like those facts or not. Was it worth it? well we all could have a different answer I suppose.

I by no means are defending such horrific acts if true and he should step away and victims should truly have their day.

Last question, if in this case, it is what I highlighted above, how can you say this is about the poor victims in this case and does it go as others have said more about getting rid of Hop. Seems you kinda answered that question.

THIS should only be about the issue at hand period...JMO

You seem to be separating the victims from Hop. To wit, is this about the victims, or is it about getting rid of Hop?  But you can't separate the two. The victims are victims OF Hop. They are victims because of Hop. The two are inseparably connected. Hop is gone because of what he (allegedly) did to the victims. If some are happy he's gone because they had other issues with him, well, I guess you're getting a two-for-one. So what?  Celebrating at a restaurant that this person is gone?  Wanting to get involved again after being shunned?  That's bad how?

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ediker said:

They need to go, yes!  Doing it immediately would be more of a disaster.  Someone needs to attend to business for the organization.  The best course I can imagine would be if existing alumni and friends could organize suitable replacements for each board member.  Each board member can then resign as soon as a replacement is ready.  

A methodical way to do a transition can be done rather quickly though. DCI itself voted to oust and replace its DCI board almost immediately after GH's G7 scheme arose in 2010. The transition went smoothly if I recall. YEA might need a bit more time to do the neccessary replacements on their board. Thats understandable. They should have that time tro do so in a methodical and orderly way. The key for YEA ( and DCI ) is that they do it, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

You seem to be separating the victims from Hop. To wit, is this about the victims, or is it about getting rid of Hop?  But you can't separate the two. The victims are victims OF Hop. They are victims because of Hop. The two are inseparably connected. Hop is going because of what he (allegedly) did to the victims. If some are happy he's gone because they had other issues with him, well, I guess you're getting a two-for-one. So what?  Celebrating at a restaurant that this person is gone?  Wanting to get involved again after being shunned?  That's bad how?

no not doing that at all , quite the opposite...read who I responded to. and what I highlighted what they said. The issue is the victims now. NOT how the corps was run for 40 years. Why they wanted him gone for 40 years is not the subject of these allegations and imo takes away from the actual people and topic.

Want to also point out many of these same people were kissing butt until they weren't needed. So I get the bitterness and rath of Hop

Edited by GUARDLING

51 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

How many school principals or superintendents will be instructing their band directors to have NO FURTHER AFFILIATION with US Bands once they hear this story??????

Until the Band Directors tell them that there are few if any viable alternatives for competition in their region.

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

no not doing that at all , quite the opposite...read who I responded to. and what I highlighted what they said. The issue is the victims now. NOT how the corps was run for 40 years.

I feel like you are splitting hairs. The way the corps was run for 40 years, the authoritarian behavior, lack of oversight and accountability, etc., all helped create the situation that resulted in there being victims at all. The best way to effectively move past it is to examine the whole scenario and learn and improve from it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Until the Band Directors tell them that there are few if any viable alternatives for competition in their region.

Unfortunately, I don't think they will care. Balance a marching band competition against association with an organization headed by an alleged sexual predator. Your future as principal / superintendent is on the line. Now make a decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What will become of Kristy Templin in all of this? It would seem she could become a casualty of this scandal as well. 

2 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Unfortunately, I don't think they will care. Balance a marching band competition against association with an organization headed by an alleged sexual predator. Your future as principal / superintendent is on the line. Now make a decision.

FORMERLY headed by  ...

And by the way, my local high band program is run by the husband of one of those 9 women, and still all of their competitions were USBand shows.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, NakedEye said:

I feel like you are splitting hairs. The way the corps was run for 40 years, the authoritarian behavior, lack of oversight and accountability, etc., all helped create the situation that resulted in there being victims at all. The best way to effectively move past it is to examine the whole scenario and learn and improve from it.

I would agree totally about learning from it. I do think it is a huge separation with how some have been bitter for decades for other reasons and the issue at hand. I get what you are saying and how 1 thing allowed another and how the whole thing should be examined and everyone needs accountability, which he was able to skirt around I'm sure

• Like 1