The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

39 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

More people throughout the world (interweb) will learn about drum corps than have ever before. Hopkins has finally brought DCI and YEA to the masses...too bad it was like this. Google searches for stories about Dr. Nassar will be linked to this story since Nassar stories are already being linked to some of these. 

Edited by Gantang

2 minutes ago, GlenI said:

What will become of Kristy Templin in all of this? It would seem she could become a casualty of this scandal as well. 

Yeah, I wouldn't see any upside in keeping one of GH's most vocal defenders in a position of authority with the organization.

Just now, Eleran said:

Your future as principal / superintendent is on the line. Now make a decision.

Most school administrators favor damage control, CYA, and conservative moves to keep their 6 figure incomes intact. Sorry, I'm not fond of most of them. A large pet peeve of mine about most of those folks. The ones who are truly outstanding set themselves apart insanely from the rest of that madding crowd.

7 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Until the Band Directors tell them that there are few if any viable alternatives for competition in their region.

Our BD said he would rather go independent and remain local considering the poor support he has received from USBands in the past, and he would rather his students not be used as advertising for YEA under the current board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Slingerland said:

Yeah, I wouldn't see any upside in keeping one of GH's most vocal defenders in a position of authority with the organization.

that can be said of dozens of staff there and other places who spent years with HOP

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cybersnyder said:

Unfortunately, I don't think they will care. Balance a marching band competition against association with an organization headed by an alleged sexual predator. Your future as principal / superintendent is on the line. Now make a decision.

I cannot believe that this is my first post on drumcorpsplanet, but here goes. As a drum corps. alum, adjudicator, and public school educator for 34 years, (11 as a building principal) - I can tell you that public school officials and school boards of education will avoid the association with anything like this like the plague. Districts get together and form their own marching band contest associations. There are many regional models such as the NYS Field Band Conference. There is enough time for alternatives to be developed. YEA is in a world of trouble right now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

There are TWO types of victims:

1. Those who "consented" under duress in order to march or keep their jobs. 

2. Those who refused and, so, were unable to march or continue working.

(I would guess group 2 is much larger than 1. Group 2 should not be forgotten.)

Edited by candl
Typo
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Who says ? Are you a lawyer ? DCI has stepped in and suspended Corps from further show performances on at least 6 separate occasions in the past. And on mere allegations alone of violating DCI policies. And the suspensions were all for non criminal violations too. I am not suggesting DCI should neccessarily do this, but the YEA actions are seemingly so bereft of responsibility here, if that HOP's hand picked YEA BOD stays on, it most certainly could be wiithin DCI's authority to do so, should they choose to do so. DCI  once suspended the Troopers from further performances too in WC .  So this notion you have that DCI is impotent and has no authority to step in and suspend a Corps further show performances if they wanted too is simply wrong... as DCI has already done so on at least  a half dozen separate occasions in the past. ... and some suspensions from further show participations did not even require the vote nor approval of the other member Corps either. YEA could spare DCI from even considering  this, if they all simply  did the right thing and all resigned now on that  GH personally handpicked YEA BOD too.. So the Cadets can start completely fresh anew.

You're obfuscating again.

In the post I responded to, you said that  " I would imagine that if DCI believes that YEA Board did not follow established DCI protocol to notify DCI HQ promptly when it got notification from an outside lawfirm representing sexual assault victims of abuses".  Would you please source that "established protocol" you quote?

I never questioned your claim that DCI can suspend the corps performances in DCI sanctioned events.  In fact, that's ALL the power DCI has. 

Please cite your source for believing that DCI can force a corps to change its BoD in order to compete on the tour?  Do you REALLY think that the directors would vote the power for the group to tear a corps apart at its seams?

The only thing that is factual in your post is that DCI can prevent them from participating in the tour.  You made up the part about the "protocol", and I'm positive you give DCI MUCH more power in discussion than they actually have in practice.  And I'm talking about DCI - the office - Dan Acheson and his staff.  That DCI.  It's powers are granted by the DCI BoD.

I don't need to be a lawyer to call BS on one's ability to forecast the future, but I do play one from time to time.  Today, for example. 

But I get your point.

• Like 1