The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

17 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Oh sure. Plenty of people in this activity should be crapping their pants right now

not just on this issue but many others. watch how method, staff free time etc etc starts to surface.. I keep thinking, careful careful careful.

I can't help but worry how freely this could allow those who merely disagree to stir pots just because they can

Edited by GUARDLING

59 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As soon as they were aware of allegations of sexual misconduct, didn't they have an obligation to keep him away from the members? Have there been no rehearsals by Cadets or YEA's winter organzation(s) since January?

This is the point - your opinion is valid as is your question.  Too many here are taking your sentence (or these type of inquisitory statements) as being obvious conclusions.  They're not.  I've been saying it for months.  There is reason that DCI is a "toothless tiger" to enforce policies.

I have been an avid supporter of The Cadets as well as George Hopkins.

George gave me advice while I went blind and had to decide wether or not to try new breakthrough treatments.

the treatments worked!

i have gone from seeing the eye chart but no lines, now my vision has been restored to 20/25!

There is no excuse for what Hopkins did to his accusers.

I am so saddened and disgusted by this.

Best wishes to Hopkins victims and The Cadets 

Tom Bishop 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I never questioned your claim that DCI can suspend the corps performances in DCI sanctioned events.  In fact, that's ALL the power DCI has. 

Well, you did ask me above if I really thought DCI had the authority to " suspend the Cadets ". You asked.. and so I gave you  examples of  " suspensions " that DCI has implemented upon Corps .

DCI may or may not have the institutional authority to mandate a change in any Corps internal BOD ( probably not ). But DCI is certainly within their authority to suspend and/ revoke a Corps from participating in its competitions for a whole host of reasons. DCI does look inside organizations workings to determine if these Corps fill certain financial benchmarks  in order to qualify for participation in DCI Competitions, and in what class they will be assigned by DCI. If DCI can look inside the workings of  DCI Corps to determine financial fitness to participate, it certainly seems within the authoriity of DCI to look inside DCI Corps to be certain that they are safety and security fit  as well.... and if determined not to be so, to suspend/ revoke their future participation until such time that DCI is satisfied it has improved such conditions.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, camel lips said:

Why would you do something so insanely stupid like that when there is such a serious subject at hand like the allegation of a child getting raped??? SMDH 

Yamaha has a brand to protect. Do you realize how much money you could have just cost them?? Geeze if I was them I would be breaking out the lawyers. 

Surely, you jest.

Lol

"Sorry" doesn't sound like it's enough for you.

A concern I would have as a parent....if the board/staff knew then they are culpable also. If the board/staff didn't know how in the hell did they not know....they are not keeping themselves in the loop and aware of what is going on, they are incompetent.  Either way would I trust my kid to decisions this organization makes???? This is Penn all over again....

1 hour ago, camel lips said:

Why would you do something so insanely stupid like that when there is such a serious subject at hand like the allegation of a child getting raped??? SMDH 

Yamaha has a brand to protect. Do you realize how much money you could have just cost them?? Geeze if I was them I would be breaking out the lawyers. 

Just for you, I went back and increased the font size of my disclaimer.

With my apologies for my optical-insensitivity.

31 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

You're quite the trickster. Yeah, clicking a link, nobody does that on the internet.

Well, I'm hopeful that Yamaha's lawyers have better reading comprehension than some here but, yea, I was trying to make a point.

The contention that sponsors are going to bail on this venerable organization is premature.

Some, apparently, didn't get the point.

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Well, you did ask me above if I really thought DCI had the authority to " suspend the Cadets ". You asked.. and so I gave you  examples of  " suspensions " that DCI has implemented upon Corps .

DCI may or may not have the institutional authority to mandate a change in any Corps internal BOD ( probably not ). But DCI is certainly within their authority to suspend and/ revoke a Corps from participating in its competitions for a whole host of reasons. DCI does look inside organizations workings to determine if these Corps fill certain financial benchmarks  in order to qualify for participation in DCI Competitions, and in what class they will be assigned by DCI. If DCI can look inside the workings of  DCI Corps to determine financial fitness to participate, it certainly seems within the authoriity of DCI to look inside DCI Corps to be certain that they are safety and security fit  as well.... and if determined not to be so, to suspend/ revoke their future participation until such time that DCI is satisfied it has improved such conditions.

I keep agreeing and correcting you. 

No, I asked you if you thought DCI had the power to insist that their board follow some protocol, or if you thought they had the power to insist they replace their board prior to being able to tour.

9 minutes ago, ducttapedgerbil said:

A concern I would have as a parent....if the board/staff knew then they are culpable also. If the board/staff didn't know how in the hell did they not know....they are not keeping themselves in the loop and aware of what is going on, they are incompetent.  Either way would I trust my kid to decisions this organization makes???? This is Penn all over again....

They. did. not. know. in. January.