The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Seeking clarification, please. The Inquisitor article and YEA's statement last night both make it clear that the YEA Board of Directors have known for at least two months that there were allegations of sexual misconduct against George Hopkins. No one disputes that much, as far as I can tell.

Given that, my position is that YEA's board of directors had a responsibility, at a minimum, to keep Hopkins away from the members until their investigation was complete.

(I said nothing about DCI in my post.)

Do you disagree?

I don't disagree with your facts.  (I did catch your reference.)

I disagree that your position of conclusion is the one that governs either DCI or the Cadets' BoD's actions.

Again, that's my point here.  So many presume knowledge of the acceptable Best Practices established by Cadets' BoD, when they are rather implying THEIR understanding of Best Practices.

What's important here is what their harassment policy said the BoD was required to do.  Does your org's policy state that, in the case of a contention or accusation, that your BoD must suspend the ED pending a full "independent" investigation?

Sorry, I don't mean to be rhetorical.

13 minutes ago, garfield said:

They. did. not. know. in. January.

Seeking further clarification.

On Feb. 1, this was posted to the Music for All forums:

"Word has been going around that YEA and George Hopkins is placed under investigation, and a letter was sent out recently confirming this.Rumor on the street is that this is sex ual abuse, amid many people have came forward with sexual harassment claims. Something like this was hinted several months ago on reddit."

That appears to mean that Jan. 31 is the terminus a quo for YEA's board of directors to have been notified about allegations of sexual misconduct against George Hopkins.

You're saying that during the period when the board knew about such allegations and was investigating, they did not have an obligation to keep Hopkins away from the members?

How do you think parents should respond to an organization letting a suspected sexual predator interact with their kids for two months?

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I wasn't so much referring to the individual but the situation as "a little suspect."

One could easily imagine a scenario: say that George Hopkins's girlfriend (daughter of Rich Templin) supports Hopkins through these allegations. I could see this causing issues. "How could Kristy Templin not know about this?" "As an extension, how could Rich Templin not know?" Plenty of legitimate questions could arise. And such questions could be a distraction to the organization. 

Also, it's just not a good look. Again, regardless of the reputation of Rich Templin, which may be impeccable. 

It's just weird to me. And I'm okay with you disagreeing.

Personally I don't know how Kristy Templins Relationship can withstand the test of this unless its a really strong one. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Well, you did ask me above if I really thought DCI had the authority to " suspend the Cadets ". You asked.. and so I gave you  examples of  " suspensions " that DCI has implemented upon Corps .

DCI may or may not have the institutional authority to mandate a change in any Corps internal BOD ( probably not ). But DCI is certainly within their authority to suspend and/ revoke a Corps from participating in its competitions for a whole host of reasons. DCI does look inside organizations workings to determine if these Corps fill certain financial benchmarks  in order to qualify for participation in DCI Competitions, and in what class they will be assigned by DCI. If DCI can look inside the workings of  DCI Corps to determine financial fitness to participate, it certainly seems within the authoriity of DCI to look inside DCI Corps to be certain that they are safety and security fit  as well.... and if determined not to be so, to suspend/ revoke their future participation until such time that DCI is satisfied it has improved such conditions.

In no way do I wish ill will upon the Cadets organization.  This may be an unpopular opinion, but, sometimes a clear message is warranted to deter behavior like this from happening by other bad actors in the future.  A short suspension may be in order. This is only a suggestion as perhaps a suspension may severely impact the organization in other ways that I have not even imagined.

I honestly don't feel the organization has the ability right now to police themselves. Toleration most likely existed for years while many just turned a blind-eye to it as well. A clear message that this sort of thing will not be tolerated should be sent by DCI.

No I do not wish the "kids" to suffer for the actions of another. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You're saying that during the period when the board knew about such allegations and was investigating, they did not have an obligation to keep Hopkins away from the members?

How about, let’s for once separate the fate of Cadets from the fate of Hopkins? How could any rational, responsible board member let Hopkins continue to run the whole organization knowing what would transpire if these allegations proved true? This confirms what a total abdication of accountably the whole Cadets organization had “under” Hopkins. Staggering lack of common sense.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

How about, let’s for once separate the fate of Cadets from the fate of Hopkins? How could any rational, responsible board member let Hopkins continue to run the whole organization knowing what would transpire if these allegations proved true? This confirms what a total abdication of accountably the whole Cadets organization had “under” Hopkins. Staggering lack of common sense.

They had a TOTAL obligation to protect the kids once these ALLEGATIONS came to light. Had it been one single Allegation coming out of the clear blue sky???? Maybe they could have taken the stance they did and did a internal investigation and see where the investigation took them and said nothing to see here. But when 9 women come forward essentially saying the same type of thing I feel strongly a jury down the road is going to see it differently. That they DID HAVE a obligation to protect the kids and at the very minimum ask him to take a leave of absence till they sorted the whole mess out. They could have called it a medical leave of absence to have a foot look after or a knee operated on.  Anything to get him away from the kids and out of pocket. NOW??? It will come down to who knew what and when and if the allegations turn out to be true that they left him in charge and around the kids to perpetuate his activities. 

You can bet they have opened themselves up to liability. Not only to criminal but civil. Of course this is all based on ALLEGATIONS at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

How do you think parents should respond to an organization letting a suspected sexual predator interact with their kids for two months?

Parents/ MM's of Cadets 2018 were paying their money for camps/ auditions and many probably had no idea that this Corps had an Executive Director under serious charges of sexual abuse of at least 9 former marchers/ workers/ staffers at this Corps. But YEA knew of these allegations... from the victim's lawyers.   Ouch. Have to feel bad for those parents/ MM's. Now, maybe some or most of them are ok with not being probably informed of this, but still in all, the CEO needed to be suspended without pay and immediately, until such time that these 9 victims charges could be properly evaluated. And Parents/ MM's would have been properly informed so they all could have made an informed decision to decide to participate or not this summer. Because YEA did not suspend GH when it needed to ( as was requested by the victims and their attorneys ) the timing for this now could not be more worse for everyone that is unconnected to what appears to be a 2- 3 month stonewall ( or heck..a cover up ) by YEA of  these allegations of multiple incidents of sexual abuse/ harrassment/ intimidation spanning over 3 decades by their Corps Executive Director.

Edited by BRASSO

For those that may want to write to the cadet board...this was posted online....

XJ5z7mN.jpg

Mods: please remove post if against forum guidelines

2 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

Rich is a stand up man with impeccable integrity. Cadets2 are in the best of hands under his leadership. 

Thats good to hear, Jim.

• Like 1