The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

41 minutes ago, Liahona said:

In no way do I wish ill will upon the Cadets organization.  This may be an unpopular opinion, but, sometimes a clear message is warranted to deter behavior like this from happening by other bad actors in the future.  A short suspension may be in order. This is only a suggestion as perhaps a suspension may severely impact the organization in other ways that I have not even imagined.

I honestly don't feel the organization has the ability right now to police themselves. Toleration most likely existed for years while many just turned a blind-eye to it as well. A clear message that this sort of thing will not be tolerated should be sent by DCI.

No I do not wish the "kids" to suffer for the actions of another. 

Why punish the entire organization and members for 1 person. IF you want to include the board that's fine BUT careful with that then it should or could go far beyond 1 corps.  Did all the people taken down in the news lately shut down a business, Congress, schools, etc etc? No the person guilty or not was removed and then recovered best they could.

Was this the best decision? Guess that can be debated.  In this case, maybe send the message that Cadets weren't 1 person and can survive without the evil demon. Maybe throw all support behind this corps and hope they come out a powerhouse bigger and better than ever. Now that could send a message to Hop as well as others who think it's all about them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Liahona said:

For those that may want to write to the cadet board...this was posted online....

XJ5z7mN.jpg

Mods: please remove post if against forum guidelines

Not one woman and from what I can see, not one teacher, nor a person in human services such as a social worker, youth worker, or member of the clergy. There is a doctor, but for these matters to be resolved, you need a woman’s point of view as well as input from people in human services who have their feet on the ground. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Liahona said:

For those that may want to write to the cadet board...this was posted online....

XJ5z7mN.jpg

Over the years I got the impression that this Ed DiCarlo guy was the closest thing Hop had to a boss. Is that the case or is that a mis-read?

19 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Why punish the entire organization and members for 1 person. 

Does the Hawthorne Muchachos ( among a few others ) ring a bell ?

The NCAA routinely suspends schools participation for the actions of a Coach, or a player or 2.

Its unfortunate when any single individual  allegedly does this damage by his actions to any organization. But this happens all the time in " the real world ", and entire organizations are damaged by the careless and/ criminal actions of an individual or two.

I'm not so sure a suspension of the Cadets from participation is warranted at this time however. But I'm on the fence on that. That said, to be clear, that would need to come from DCI and/ or the Cadets anyway, and at the moment that does not seem to be what will happen. Hope not.  Most of these parents/ marchers were in the dark on all this, and I 'd hate for them to bear the brunt on this even though this happens all the time out of DCI. Besides, I'm not so sure even the 9 victims would want the Cadets not to be out there on the field this season. I think of what they might want in moments like this.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Does the Hawthorne Muchachos ( among a few others ) ring a bell ?

The NCAA routinely suspends schools participation for the actions of a Coach, or a player or 2.

Its unfortunate when any single individual  allegedly does this damage by his actions to any organization. But this happens all the time in " the real world ", and entire organizations are damaged by the careless and/ criminal actions of an individual or two.

Doesn't make it right. Yes it happens and often it doesn't

You can rest assure that if that happens they won't be the only ones going down . The Muchacho thing involved members which were also guilty so I see no comparison there. These members had nothing to do with any of this let alone members of today

I see you added to your post and would agree totally

Edited by GUARDLING

9 minutes ago, bds34 said:

Over the years I got the impression that this Ed DiCarlo guy was the closest thing Hop had to a boss. Is that the case or is that a mis-read?

Probably the other way around.

40 minutes ago, Liahona said:

XJ5z7mN.jpg

How come NO female representation on the BOD? ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Seeking further clarification.

On Feb. 1, this was posted to the Music for All forums:

"Word has been going around that YEA and George Hopkins is placed under investigation, and a letter was sent out recently confirming this.Rumor on the street is that this is sex ual abuse, amid many people have came forward with sexual harassment claims. Something like this was hinted several months ago on reddit."

That appears to mean that Jan. 31 is the terminus a quo for YEA's board of directors to have been notified about allegations of sexual misconduct against George Hopkins.

You're saying that during the period when the board knew about such allegations and was investigating, they did not have an obligation to keep Hopkins away from the members?

How do you think parents should respond to an organization letting a suspected sexual predator interact with their kids for two months?

Simply, what was counsel to the Board recommending they do at that point?

Sorry to answer with a question, but you're searching for answers from me that I can't provide.  And that's the point - nobody can provide besides the BoD and their counsel.  Some here want to turn their beliefs into the a BoD obligation, and that's a fault.

Edited by garfield

26 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Not one woman and from what I can see, not one teacher, nor a person in human services such as a social worker, youth worker, or member of the clergy. There is a doctor, but for these matters to be resolved, you need a woman’s point of view as well as input from people in human services who have their feet on the ground. 

A distaff member on the BOD would be a great step forward right about now.  

• Like 1

Non-profit boards are often (not always) very tough things to work right. Members are often chosen for reasons other than their having skills and experience to help the organization. There is little attention to, or funding for, professional development related to management and leadership. Typical is that boards meet too infrequently, with information (especially financials) tightly managed and curated by executive directors or their staffs.

There is a bit of an ego lift from the ask to serve on boards. (Again, I'm referring to non-profit boards generally.) I've seen directors and chairs promote board membership as something that requires mostly just showing up. No extra work involved.

A lot of boards are simply not well constructed enough to be responsible for the work that they should do. (Many are; but again, a lot are not.) Fortunately, I've served on boards (and do so now) where I am active, deeply engaged, and fully informed. I've also served on a few where I just showed up.

So far as I can see from this event, the YEA board members appear to be examples of some of the worst kinds of board participants. (Actually, that's too strong a comment given such limited information I have on those members. On the other hand, that awful statement from YEA gives me enough confidence to go ahead with the comment.)

Surely, many DCP posters here must be the kind of people sought out to serve on boards of various sizes and weights. Maybe this is a great moment for all of us to reflect on how those boards are managed and how we can serve as productively as possible as board members supervising important music, arts, education, and other activities we have chosen to support.

• Thanks 1