The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

Just now, garfield said:

Simply, what was counsel to the Board recommending they do at that point?

(sorry to answer with a question, but you're searching for answers from me that I can't provide.  And that's the point - nobody can provide besides the BoD and their counsel.  Some here want to turn their beliefs into the a BoD obligation, and that's a fault.

In our dialogue, I'm not looking for facts you don't have. I'm asking if you agree with my opinion: once YEA's board knew about serious allegations of sexual misconduct by Hopkins, did they not have an obligation to keep Hopkins away from the members? What do you think was the right thing to do?

12 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

I still don't get the point. I thought it was a supportive statement from Yamaha, the URL looked legit enough. But I will predict that this is the last year that Yamaha has a relationship with The Cadets - and not because they want to end the relationship next season. I don't think there will be a next season. Yea has ballpark of $1.6 million in assets and $1.2 million in liabilities. A net $400k isn't going to cover the lawsuits and I don't think a "Help cover a sexual predator (alleged) fees" is going to be a very popular GoFundMe page. Seriously, it will take a miracle to pull this plane out of a nose dive. I really hope I'm wrong.

You could be right.

The point was: the certitude of the statements made seem to make impossible any other outcome.

I meant to provide an other.

Nobody can tell the future course, or the unintended consequences, of events yet to unfold. 

To claim pure prescience is dangerous and, um, 'derailing', IMO.

Edited by garfield

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Doesn't make it right. Yes it happens and often it doesn't

You can rest assure that if that happens they won't be the only ones going down .

Ironically, the 6 Corps that ultimately decided not to follow the GH threats to leave DCI if his demands were not met in 2010-11 can thank their lucky stars ( as well as the other Corps ) that they did not ultimately follow GH/ Cadets threat  to form their own circuit outside of DCI.

Those 6 Corps would be in potential drowning waters right now, after this bombshell, if they followed this guy with  his wild eyed scheme back then.

Edited by BRASSO

There should be ZERO sanctions placed upon The Cadets for this. It’s not the members’ fault so there is no reason to punish them for the sins of their higher-ups.  Punish the guilty ONLY!

This situation is NOT like those from the 1970s where entire corps were disqualified for marching overage members:  Disqualifications for those particular violations were the proper means to be taken — because that’s what the Rules stated should happen.

No, this situation is WORSE!  I marched with The Cavaliers so as a member of an all-male corps I was young and blissfully unaware at the time of the issues which could arise in a mixed-sex corps.  

I cannot imagine the pressure a young woman might be under when a powerful instructor or staff member came on to them; I’ve never marched with women so please forgive me.  This crap was going on in corps we were competing against and I wish we had known about it.  

To all The Cadets, please know all of us who have marched in any corps are with you, we love you, and our activity will survive this.

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Ironically, the 6 Corps that ultimately decided not to follow the GH threats to leave DCI if his demands were not met in 2010 can thank their lucky stars ( as well as the other Corps ) that they did not ultimately follow GH/ Cadets threat  to form their own circuit outside of DCI.

Those 6 Corps would be in potential drowning waters right now, after this bombshell, if they followed this guy with  his wild eyed scheme back then.

Wow, I hadn't thought of this.  Imagine those six corps' fate had this new come out after a successful G7 reorg.  Zing!

1 minute ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

No, this situation is WORSE!  I marched with The Cavaliers so as a member of an all-male corps I was young and blissfully unaware at the time of the issues which could arise in a mixed-sex corps.

Um, similar problems are certainly possible in single-sex corps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

There should be ZERO sanctions placed upon The Cadets for this. It’s not the members’ fault so there is no reason to punish them for the sins of their higher-ups.  Punish the guilty ONLY!

This situation is NOT like those from the 1970s where entire corps were disqualified for marching overage members:  Disqualifications for those particular violations were the proper means to be taken — because that’s what the Rules stated should happen.

I cannot imagine the pressure a young woman might be under when a powerful instructor or staff member came on to them; I’ve never marched with women so please forgive me.  This crap was going on in corps we were competing against and I wish we had known about it.  

To all The Cadets, please know all of us who have marched in any corps are with you, we love you, and our activity will survive this.

I probably shouldn’t open up this can of worms but young men are also sexually harassed in drum corps. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It can include others today.. This has legs and can travel, especially if questions of who knew what when spreads. Legit question for sure but could involve so many it's mind-boggling.  I know many who have thought of this already.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Um, similar problems are certainly possible in single-sex corps.

Possible, yes — but far less likely. I never saw or heard anything in the years I marched.