The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I probably shouldn’t open up this can of worms but young men are also sexually harassed in drum corps. 

I’m sure that has happened.  I’m just saying I’ve never personally seen or witnessed it.

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps

Just now, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Possible, yes — but far less likely. I never saw or heard anything in the years I marched.  

Back when I marched, I didn’t hear anything like that either...but it’s a different world now.   I’ve read accounts of young men on drumcorps Reddit who were sexually harassed and worse.  

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Back when I marched, I didn’t hear anything like that either...but it’s a different world now.   I’ve read accounts of young men on drumcorps Reddit who were sexually harassed and worse.  

it happened back in the day also BUT it is a different world now for sure. Also there was a lot more acceptable than would be now..of course not rape or harassement..but much more acceptable

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, garfield said:

Wow, I hadn't thought of this.  Imagine those six corps' fate had this new come out after a successful G7 reorg.  Zing!

More money for lawyers and victims.. not a bad outcome if the G7 became initially successful ( doubtful though ) in their own circuit.

The 6 more than likely would be dragged down both financially and reputation wise now if the 6 had joined up with GH in 2010 and split from DCI and formed their own circuit. The legal fees, civil damages would most likely have ended their circuit of only 7, imo. And with these allegations, shaky finances, no way in the world would the remaining DCI Corps vote to bring them back to DCI either, imo. Thats why the 6 in retrospect made the right decision in the end to stay in DCI and not follow GH 's threats to leave DCI with the others if his demands were not met. Now, 7 years later, he's gone from DCI. 

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Sexual abuse is equally as devastating for a young man as it for a young woman.  We learned that from what happened in the Catholic Church.  

That’s a very good point.  I’m Catholic and never been abused but we know it happened.  My heart is broken for those young ladies in The Cadets and that’s the truth. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In our dialogue, I'm not looking for facts you don't have. I'm asking if you agree with my opinion: once YEA's board knew about serious allegations of sexual misconduct by Hopkins, did they not have an obligation to keep Hopkins away from the members? What do you think was the right thing to do?

Me, personally?  As a board member? 

I think that part of the BoD's responsibility is to assure the continuation of the organization for the benefit of the members.  I can see that Cadets' BoD members could have surmised that, in the absence of a specific accusation upon which to make a rebuttal statement or justify a removal , their obligation was to the smooth continuity of the (what they perceived as) positive impact on their MM's.

I, personally, would have relied on legal counsel and my own conscience, but I can't say at the moment that I would have automatically removed Hop prior to having something identifiable on which to charge him or restrict him.

In the absence of more detail regarding to what extent the BoD had been informed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

More money for lawyers and victims.. not a bad outcome if the G7 became initially successfuli n their own circuit ( doubtful, imo )

The 6 more than likely would be dragged down both financially and reputation wise now if the 6 had joined up with GH in 2010 and split from DCI and formed their own circuit. The legal fees, civil damages would most likely have ended all 7, imo

Yep, have to agree with this presumption.

Got to think that the other six are whistling past the graveyard on this news...

• Like 1